Earlier this year, I explained our principles about Azure PowerShell releases. On October 27, we released a major version update whose significant change was in performing the authentication to Azure.
Unfortunately, this major release created several issues for many of you. We did the postmortem about this release last week and wanted to share its content.
With this release, we changed the library used to perform the authentication to Azure moving from ADAL to MSAL (Microsoft Authentication Library).
Customers encountered errors related to the following categories:
Different root causes have been identified for each category mentioned above:
We implemented the following fixes in Az.Accounts 2.1.2
Each issue had a different impact as follows:
The identification of the root cause of the issues was quick however, the PowerShell gallery suffered an unexpected outage on 10/30 delaying our ability to publish a fix for our customers.
Even though the preview of the Az.Accounts module was available for 205 days; none of the issues faced were identified. We learned from this incident that our current approach regarding previews is not providing the expected feedback.
Our release monitoring systems did not surface those issues that would have allowed us to address them earlier.
We need to establish a recovery plan so that we can share mitigation with impacted customers and partners.
Our mock tests are missing some scenarios, especially in end-to-end testing.
Based on the above analysis, we are considering the following:
We plan to share our progress made towards those goals by the summer of 2021.
The Azure PowerShell team
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.