SOLVED

Computer Groups with new query language?

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to set up computer groups in my OMS environment, but running into some issues. Has anyone used computer groups successfully with the new query language?

I see the created computer groups in settings, and can view members of the group from there. I created the group with a query that looks like this: Heartbeat | where Computer has "dev" | distinct Computer

The only blog I can find on using computer groups in queries is here, and it uses the older query language: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msoms/2016/04/04/computer-groups-in-oms/

like this: Type:Perf ObjectName=Processor Computer IN $ComputerGroups[My Crepe Computers] | measure avg(CounterValue) by Computer interval 1HOUR

When I try to use this format in the Legacy language converter, I get an error saying "no viable alternative at input 'Heartbeat(Computerin'" (note that in my query there ARE spaces between Computer, in, and heartbeat). If I try the regular search window with 'Heartbeat | where (Computer in $ComputerGroups[mygroupname]' I get the error 'A recognition error occurred. Token: "in".' Finally, if I add ComputerGroups to the filter window, every query I try leaves the computergroup fields with no entries, so the filter is greyed out.

Has anyone worked with computer groups in the new OMS? Are they broken, or am I missing something? I've scoured the language documentation and can't find anything there...

8 Replies

I was able to get this to work in my subscription:
Heartbeat | where Computer contains "<name>" | distinct Computer

I then saved the query, made a function of it, and used it to create a computer group.

Can you use that computer group in a query? That's the part that is failing for me.

Please refer to the documentation.  Please refer to the "Notes" section that refers to the new query language.

best response confirmed by Stanislav Zhelyazkov (MVP)
Solution

Example:

Heartbeat | where Computer contains "SRV" | distinct Computer 

You will create function out of this query and save with it with alias MyComputers for example. Than in a new query you can refer to it in this way for example:

Perf | where Computer in (MyComputers) 

If it does not work right away in the Analytics Portal try refreshing it.

Hi Stanislav,

I have followed your example but I still can't get computer groups to work.

OMs_v1.JPG

I have saved the search and can see the group under Computer Groups > Saved Groups but I am unable to reference the group in a search query. We had this working in the legacy log analytics but it didn't get converted during the log analytics upgrade.

Perf type is with capital P so it will be Perf | where Computer in (MyComputers) The language is casesensitive. Let me know if that fixes it.

I believe I have spotted the issue, the capital P was issue number 1 :) issue number 2 is that the search save was a legacy format: Type=Heartbeat OSType=Linux Computer=regex("@p{1}[0-9]*") | Distinct  Computer

I had to save the search using the new format:
Heartbeat | where OSType == "Linux" and Computer matches regex "^.+p{1}[0-9]*$" | distinct Computer

after I had saved the search I was then able to use your search and it worked.

Perf | where Computer in (MyComputers())

thank you very much for your assistance :) 

Happy to hear that it is working.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stanislav Zhelyazkov (MVP)
Solution

Example:

Heartbeat | where Computer contains "SRV" | distinct Computer 

You will create function out of this query and save with it with alias MyComputers for example. Than in a new query you can refer to it in this way for example:

Perf | where Computer in (MyComputers) 

If it does not work right away in the Analytics Portal try refreshing it.

View solution in original post