Issue with Azure VM Conditional Access for Office 365 and Dynamic Public IP Detection

Bronze Contributor

Hi all,

I have a VM in Azure where I need to allow an account with MFA to bypass the requirement on this specific server when using Office 365. I've tried to achieve this using Conditional Access by excluding locations, specifically the IP range of my Azure environment. Although I’ve disconnected any public IPs from this server, the Conditional Access policy still isn’t working as intended. The issue seems to be that it continues to detect a public IP, which changes frequently, making it impossible to exclude. What am I doing wrong?

5 Replies

Hi @AB21805,

It sounds like you're experiencing difficulties with configuring Conditional Access policies to allow MFA bypass for an Azure VM due to dynamic public IP detection. Here’s a structured approach to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Step-by-Step Guide to Configure Conditional Access for Office 365

1. Verify Network Configuration

Ensure that your VM is configured correctly with respect to its networking setup.

• No Public IP: Verify that the VM indeed has no public IP associated. Check both the NIC and the Azure VM overview.
  • NAT Gateway/Firewall: Ensure that no NAT Gateway or firewall settings are causing the VM to be seen with a public IP.

2. Use Azure Bastion or Private Endpoint

Consider using Azure Bastion or a private endpoint to securely access your VM without needing a public IP.

3. Static Public IP (If Necessary)

If you must use a public IP, consider assigning a static public IP to the VM to ensure consistency for Conditional Access rules.

4. Configure Conditional Access Policy

Step-by-Step Configuration:

1. Sign in to the Azure portal:

• Go to Azure Active Directory > Security > Conditional Access.
  2. Create a new Conditional Access policy:

• Click New policy.
    • Name your policy (e.g., "Office 365 MFA Bypass for Azure VM").
  3. Assignments:

• Users and groups: Select the users or groups that need the policy applied.
    • Cloud apps or actions: Select Office 365 or specific Office 365 services (e.g., Exchange Online, SharePoint Online).
  4. Conditions:

• Locations:
      • Under Include, select All locations.
      • Under Exclude, choose Selected locations, then select the location of your Azure VM.
      • If your VM uses a dynamic public IP, you can use the IP address range of your Azure region or the specific static IP if assigned.
  5. Access controls:

• Under Grant, select Grant access, then enable Require multi-factor authentication.
    • Use Session controls if necessary.
  6. Enable Policy:

• Set Enable policy to On.
  7. Save the policy.

5. Check IP Address Visibility

To determine the public IP address seen by Office 365 from the VM:

1. Log into the VM.
  2. Open a web browser and search for "what is my IP" to check the IP address being used.

6. Dynamic IP Handling

If a dynamic IP is unavoidable, consider:

• Using a VPN: Configure a VPN for the VM to ensure a consistent IP address.
  • Azure AD Named Locations: Define a Named Location in Azure AD with the IP address range of your Azure environment.

Defining Named Locations:

1. Navigate to Azure Active Directory > Security > Conditional Access > Named locations.

2. Add a new location:

• Name the location (e.g., "Azure VM IP Range").
    • Add the IP address range or specific IP addresses.
  3. Use this Named Location in your Conditional Access policy as described above.

Conclusion

By following these steps, you should be able to configure Conditional Access policies that effectively bypass MFA requirements for Office 365 on your specific Azure VM. Ensure the VM network setup is correctly configured and consider using static IPs or VPNs for consistency.

Hi @DTB 

1. Where do I check the NAT for a public IP, the VM itself and the NiC do not have one

2. I am currently usinf Bastian, RDP is disabled 

3. I dont want to us a public IP at all but it keeps flagging up with the Conditional Access I am unable to use its private static IP for some reason - the conditional access policy always favours the public IP

4. Where do I find the IP range for azure region ? 

5. Yes this changes all the time with random IPs

6. Would VPN stop it using the Public IP? Does using the whole range for azure environment fix this? Where so I find the range for whole environment is it the virtual network gateway? 

Hi @AB21805,

Let's address each of your points step-by-step to help you resolve the issues with Conditional Access and public IP detection.

Follow-Up Questions

1. Checking NAT for Public IP

To check if there is any NAT (Network Address Translation) affecting your VM, you can:

• Azure Portal:
    • Go to your Virtual Network.
    • Check any NAT Gateway associated with the subnet where your VM resides.
  • Network Security Groups (NSGs):
    • Ensure there are no NSGs with NAT rules that might be translating internal IPs to public IPs.

2. Using Azure Bastion

Since you are using Azure Bastion, which provides secure RDP and SSH access to VMs without exposing public IPs, this setup should not involve public IPs for direct VM access. Ensure no other services or configurations are inadvertently exposing public IPs.

3. Avoiding Public IP Usage

To avoid using public IPs and ensure Conditional Access policies recognize the private static IP:

• Ensure Correct NSG Configuration:
    • Verify that your NSGs allow traffic from the specified private IP ranges and block all inbound and outbound traffic from public IPs except for necessary Azure services.
  • Conditional Access Policies:
    • Double-check that the policies are correctly targeting the private IP range. It might be useful to define a named location with the IP range.

4. Finding the IP Range for Azure Region

To find the IP range for your Azure region (e.g., East US):

• Azure IP Ranges and Service Tags:
    • Microsoft provides a list of IP ranges for all Azure regions. You can find this in the Azure IP Ranges and Service Tags document.
    • Download the file and locate the section for your specific region (e.g., East US).

5. Dealing with Changing IPs

The dynamic nature of IP addresses for Azure services means they can change frequently. Ensure your configurations are as flexible as possible:

• Named Locations:
    • Define named locations in Azure AD Conditional Access that cover the broad IP ranges of your Azure region.

6. Using VPN to Avoid Public IP

Using a VPN can help ensure that your traffic is routed through a consistent private IP range:

• VPN Gateway Configuration:
    • Set up a VPN Gateway in Azure to route traffic securely.
    • Configure your VPN client to connect to the VPN Gateway, ensuring all traffic is routed through the VPN, thus avoiding public IP usage.
  • Private IP Usage with VPN:
    • When connected via VPN, ensure that the traffic is recognized by Conditional Access policies as originating from the VPN's private IP range.

Steps to Implement VPN for Consistent IP Usage

1. Create a VPN Gateway:

• Navigate to the Azure portal.
    • Go to Create a resource > Networking > VPN Gateway.
    • Follow the prompts to create a VPN gateway in your virtual network.
  2. Configure Point-to-Site VPN:

• Set up a Point-to-Site configuration on the VPN Gateway.
    • Download the VPN client configuration and distribute it to your users.
  3. Connect to the VPN:

• Ensure users connect to the VPN before accessing Office 365 services.
    • This ensures traffic is routed through the VPN gateway’s private IP range.

Example Configuration for Named Locations

1. Define Named Locations:

• Navigate to Azure Active Directory > Security > Conditional Access > Named locations.
    • Click + New location.
    • Enter the name and specify the IP range(s) for your Azure region or VPN.
  2. Update Conditional Access Policy:

• Modify your Conditional Access policy to exclude the defined named location for MFA requirements.

By implementing these steps, you should be able to configure your environment to ensure that Conditional Access policies correctly recognize and handle traffic from private IPs, avoiding the issues with dynamic public IPs.

I hope this helps!

HI,

1. For this VM the NSGs are the default ones, does this transition IP to public by default?

3. Could you give me an example of this, also by doing thus when searching the internet for "WhatsmyIP" what would this bring up, nothing?

4. Would this be less secure?

6. Would this affect the way the other devices which connect to this virtual network? Also my virtual network gateway has a Public IP, am I correct in thinking this is needed for on-prem and cantt be removed unless onprem services is not required?

Thanks for your clear guidance!

Hi @DTB 

If we were to go with a NAT gatway would this require higher SKU then what I currently got? - VpnGw1

If so what would the cost impact be on a VpnGw2 in comparison also does a NAT Gateway cost much?