Start your move to Azure with Azure Migrate

Microsoft

Today the Azure Migrate service became generally available. The service allows you to discover virtual machines in your on-premises environment running in VMWare and provides guidance and insights to help you move to those VMs running your applications to Azure. 

Azure Migrate allows to plan your move to Azure considering three primary dimensions:

• Readiness - is the VM and application suitable to run in an Azure VM
  • Right-sizing - what's the correct Azure VM to use
  • Cost - what's it going to cost to run the VM in Azure

The Azure Migrate team announced the milestone in this blog post today. Learn more about the Azure Migrate service where you can see review the capabilities of the service, gain access the service details, and try it out in a lab.

7 Replies

Was very excited, I have everything installed as per the instructions, and am seeing this error when trying to connect to vCenter:

@Erik Jenner I just learned we have a fix for this error. 

Instructions for deploying the hotfix

1. Download the hotfix from here.
  2. To ensure that the downloaded hotfix is secure, open Administrator command window and run the following command to generate the hash for the ZIP file. The generated hash should match with the hash mentioned below:

Algorithm

Hash Value

MD5

d969ebf3bdacc3952df0310d8891ffdf

SHA1

f96cc428eaa49d597eb77e51721dec600af19d53

SHA256

07c03abaac686faca1e82aef8b80e8ad8eca39067f1f80b4038967be1dc86fa1

1. Copy the zip file to impacted Azure Migrate collector virtual machine (collector appliance)
  2. Right-click on the zip file and select Extract All…
  3. Right-click on ps1 and select Run with PowerShell and follow the instructions to install the update

Sorry you that you hit the issue.

Thanks-

Brian Shiers

We are wanting to use Azure Migrate to do an assessment of our VMs.

The OVA file available on the Azure portal is version 1.0.9.5.  The documentation doesn't give the hash value for any version later than 1.0.9.5.  please advise.

@Darryl Humphrey the collector appliance was updated 1.0.9.5 to correct a connection issue. The documentation is not yet updated. The hash for 1.0.9.5 is here:

Algorithm

Hash Value

MD5

d969ebf3bdacc3952df0310d8891ffdf

SHA1

f96cc428eaa49d597eb77e51721dec600af19d53

SHA256

07c03abaac686faca1e82aef8b80e8ad8eca39067f1f80b4038967be1dc86fa1

This article on docs will be updated soon with the updated version info. Sorry for the confusion this caused.

Thank you, Brian.  I appreciate the update.

Hi Brian Shiers, I have a query, please help me out. Suppose, I want to migrate an on premises VM from vSphere infra to azure and I want to retain exactly the same IP which I have currently. Is it possible ?? If yes/no why and how. Please reply

This article outlines the scenario you want to transact. This explains how you can use ASR capabilities to enable this scenario. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/site-recovery/concepts-on-premises-to-azure-networking#retain...