Azure VMware Solution vs Azure VMs

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, I know that maybe the subject is a bit generic, but, if anyone would enlighten me on that I`d be really grateful.

I`m currently considering migrating an existing VMware infrastructure (or part of it) to Azure.

I can`t find a clear explanation of the main differences between the two Services above, or at least some use case.

For instance, if I stand correctly, Azure Vmware solution is actually a bare metal private cloud, basically Microsoft WILL manage the hardware on their location, correct?

While Azure VMs is just standard computing resources on top of which you can install specific workloads, or migrate existing ones.

The question is, what are the pros and cons of adopting one of those solutions?

Is there any link or info that I could use as a comparison?

Thank you for any clarification.

Cheers!

1 Reply
Your understanding of Azure VMware Solution is correct, it is a vSphere cluster running in Azure. Bare metal. Microsoft manages the platform, you, the customer, manages the workloads. There are benefits beyond just a managed VMware environment, like the integrations into Azure and ability to leverage azure services with your vSphere cluster.

If you'd like to see the session I did at a recent VMware Usercon check out this link. https://youtu.be/uUvHgpiOZbc