Azure VMs migration from one tenant to another

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

I have a task to move/migrate Azure VMs from subscription on one Azure tenant to subscription on another Azure tenant. Moving the subscription is not an option. I think I can treat the VMs as "Physical or other" and use Azure Migrate with an appliance. Is there any another way? Can I treat is as Hyper-V to Azure Migration? Will I need an appliance server for discovery and replication?

Regards

Venelin

3 Replies

I would actually stick with Azure Migrate as a solution. It gives you everything you need:

- Migration planning.
- Test migration, if necessary.
- Final migration with no data loss.

• Another alternative would be to use Azure Backup to take a snapshot of the machines, copy it to the other tenant's backup vault, and then restore it. Similar principle to Azure Migrate, except that the individual steps have to be carried out yourself.
  • One manual step would be to copy the disks of the servers to the new tenant and "hang" them in the new VM. Works, but I wouldn't recommend it from experience 😉

Best regards

Matthias

I've actually performed this sort of migration: Azure to Azure. I used the Physical or Other option which required spinning up the Replication Appliance VM in the same VNET as the migrating VM. You then need to install the Agents onto the VM that will be migrating. I'd skip the Azure Migrate Appliance/Assessment because you can do a like for like migration.

Heads up: I remember you cannot migrate the Cache disk, just the OS disk. Other than that, this migration is totally possible.  See my attached diagram.  I will confess: Figuring this out in the lab was a pain in the butt.  There's a drop-off in the Migrate Support Documentation because lines start to blur with Azure Site Recovery documentation and terminology.