First published on MSDN on Aug 14, 2018
Authored by Stephane Eyskens
A while ago, I have published a free VSTS extension to automate deployments towards Azure API Management.
I got a rather good feedback and some change requests. Some external contributors got involved on the GitHub Repo which shows a certain enthusiasm around the extension. Therefore, I decided to create the version 2.0.
In a nutshell, the purpose of this extension is to bring Azure API Management into VSTS as part of your release lifecyle. Whether you use API Management to monetize APIS or for internal purposes, it is good to associate the release of your backends APIs with their corresponding facade APIs published against the API Gateway. The goal is to bring into VSTS what you have in the Azure Portal.
The extension comes with the following features:
- Support of versioned APIs
- Support of Versioning Schemes (segment, query string, HTTP header)
- Support of Product creation
- Support of Product and API policies, with many pre-defined templates which you can override as you need
- Resolving in-line or URL-based OpenAPI specification
- Ability to let the extension create an APIM layer on top of a function set with automatic mapping between functions and operations and the injection of each function's key through an operation policy.
- A security checker task validating that every backend endpoint is secured, should you use OAuth or any other authorization mechanism to protect your API endpoints. This task is not related to Azure API Management but relates to APIs in general.
The complete documentation can be found directly on the market place .