MTC is getting ridiculously slow

MVP

It takes a minute for a page to load today, what's going on? I know some people (me included) have been complaining about the performance for a while now, is anything being done about it?

67 Replies

Same here, 160-170 ms from Sweden.

Hi all,

The slowness individuals were talking about here were upwards of 2500ms so 171ms is fairly quick. When you think the cloud we are hosted in is state side, 171ms is about average for a trans-Atlantic connection.

Of course the next step, which we are working with Khoros (formally Lithium) on is moving our community into the cloud, which will improve RTT across the board. 

We will share more on this in due course. 

Well I can tell you for certain that in the past few days, the perceived slowness is quite noticeable. Not sure if it's the growth of the community of something else, but it's definitely degrading over time...

@Vasil Michev 

We did have some service affecting issues yesterday and today which have only been sorted in the last 30 minutes.

I would be expecting to see improvement over the course of today. 

I'm afraid I'm not seeing any improvements. There's a very noticeable delay when initially opening any page on the MTC, easily 10-15 seconds or so. Then there's at least that many with the "spinning wheel" while the list of threads loads, so it's definitely not (just a) network issue.

@Vasil Michev 

Thank you for your feedback, I will look into it and if I need more information I will reach out to you via IM.

Thanks

Well it's early morning here in Bulgaria, middle of the night in the US, so probably one of the times with lowest load on the MTC. Yet, performance is atrocious and I constantly run into issues like these:

MTCissue4.pngMTcissue5.png

FWIW, the performance is much better this evening.
Is there an ETA for the cloud migration?

Any news? Today it's especially slow. Every page load takes up to 30 secods.

@AllenAre there any news/timeline to share about the CDN? Each page load takes over 6 seconds, if it loads at all. Often the page only loads partly and you have to do a refresh to see any content. :(

3    56 ms    19 ms    23 ms  ip-81-210-144-112.hsi17.unitymediagroup.de [81.210.144.112]
  4    15 ms    18 ms    38 ms  de-fra01b-rc1-ae35-0.aorta.net [84.116.190.177]
  5    23 ms    15 ms    12 ms  de-fra04c-ri1-ae5-0.aorta.net [84.116.133.113]
  6    15 ms    13 ms    16 ms  ae4.cr2-fra6.ip4.gtt.net [46.33.82.25]
  7   174 ms   445 ms   172 ms  xe-8-2-3.cr0-sjc1.ip4.gtt.net [89.149.136.225]
  8   181 ms   171 ms   178 ms  ip4.gtt.net [69.174.8.82]
  9   187 ms   174 ms   168 ms  gxcuf89792.lithium.com [208.74.205.202]

grafik.png

Me and my friends from other parts of the world (Asia) are experiencing the same thing. once I had to wait even 15 seconds (more or less) for my profile page to load, it was already cached in the browser.

Each page load takes 17-25 seconds for me and some times don't load page for me

@Behzad_A 

I noticed that during most of the time I'm waiting for a forum page to load, I'm getting this message

Annotation 2019-10-08 155908.png

and the other one is" waiting for the 'websiteName' "

I even sometimes get this error when I click on an entry on my notification bell list

Annotation 2019-10-08 155840.png

Hi all,

Thank you for your updates, we to have seen some degradation of the site performance over last 7-10 days, with occasional messages like 'Your request is being processed' showing up.

We are exploring those urgently with Khoros.

@HotCakeX - We have not seen the messages your seeing but also the servers which we are on today are hosted in San Jose, CA so folks with slow peerage / data connections to the USA will see slower loading times. 

We completely understand that slow speeds are not good and so there are a number of projects we are working with Khoros to bring to fruition, some of them are (in expected order of delivery):

•  CSS  styling will only load rules for the page your currently on
  •  A homepage refresh (which will also feed into other pages across the site) of which page load time will be an important factor
  • A move to a Geo-Redundant Azure backbone that will allow us to scale better and ensure content is delivered to end users in a more efficient manner.

The exact delivery of these is still being worked on but the CSS Styling changes are being implemented in the next month or so.

Obviously these are large tasks and its important we get them right, please do keep sharing your experience with us and I will update you with more information as these improvements come on stream.

All the best

Thank you for the info,

Have a good one!

For the past few days, performance is beyond slow. What happened?

I don't know honestly..it's like the servers of this forum are not using enough of my Internet bandwidth to load the web pages quickly for me.
for a comparison, the home page of YouTube loads in 1 seconds for me but after opening my browser and clicking on this forum's bookmark, it takes 7-8 seconds to fully load it.

@Vasil Michev,

Thanks for posting, we have a bug in our RSS feeds which is causing extra server requests. We are working on a fix right now which will hopefully do away with the 'We are processing your request' bar some users have been reporting and also the 'Too many searches in the system, please try again in a minute' messages.

We are still working on the items I have posted previously.

Thanks again

@Allenone out of five times I open techcommunity.microsoft.com it looks like this. I blame the bad performance in Europe. Pings still at > 170 ms.

clipboard_image_0.png