SOLVED

Dynamic Distibution group

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone 

I have been struggling with this query for a year. While I feel it should be so simple. 

Need a dynamic all staff group.

Using the 'all exchange mailboxes' option; includes shared mailboxes, distribution groups,  and contacts which I do not want. 

Tried in azure, linking it to license codes, but hit too many dead ends. 

Powershell is the way... 

Found a promising route and as I was playing around with it, I found out it filtered nothing. 

Here is what I need: 
• Dynamic distribution group with all users in

• Exclude sharedmailboxes, distribution, security, contacts etc. 

• Exclude admin accounts sysadmin@***

Here is what I have: 

New-DynamicDistributionGroup -Name "o" -RecipientFilter {(`
>>     (RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientType -eq 'MailContact')) `
>>     -and (-not(MemberOfGroup -eq 'CN=AllExclusion,OU=SG,DC=Example,DC=Local')) `
>>     -and (-not(MemberOfGroup -eq 'email address removed for privacy reasons')) `
>>     -and (-not(Name -like 'Sysadmin{*')) `
>>     -and (-not(Name -like 'CAS_{*')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'MailboxPlan')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'DiscoveryMailbox')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'PublicFolderMailbox')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'ArbitrationMailbox')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'AuditLogMailbox')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'AuxAuditLogMailbox')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'SupervisoryReviewPolicyMailbox')) `
>>     -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'GuestMailUser'))`
>> )}

Drilled down and found no difference in users, using any of these codes: 
o1 - New-DynamicDistributionGroup -Name "o" -RecipientFilter {(RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -and (-not(DisplayName -like 'Archive{*'))}
o2  - New-DynamicDistributionGroup -Name "o" -RecipientFilter {(RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox')}
o3 - New-DynamicDistributionGroup -Name "o" -RecipientFilter {(RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox')-and (-not(Name -like 'Archive{*'))}

This is how I get the results
Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter (Get-DynamicDistributionGroup -Identity "o").RecipientFilter -Resultsize unlimited | Export-csv C:\o.csv

Please help. I feel pathetic, that such a straight forward request, is so complex and has taken so long. 

1 Reply
best response confirmed by WaldoKing (Copper Contributor)
Solution
RecipientType of "UserMailbox" does include shared, room and so on mailboxes. RecipientTypeDetails is what you need to use instead. Here's a comparisson:

[09:13:42][O365]# Get-Recipient -RecipientType UserMailbox | group RecipientTypeDetails -NoElement

Count Name
----- ----
16 SharedMailbox
16 UserMailbox
1 TeamMailbox
4 RoomMailbox
5 SchedulingMailbox
2 DiscoveryMailbox
1 EquipmentMailbox

[09:14:00][O365]# Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | group RecipientTypeDetails -NoElement

Count Name
----- ----
16 UserMailbox
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by WaldoKing (Copper Contributor)
Solution
RecipientType of "UserMailbox" does include shared, room and so on mailboxes. RecipientTypeDetails is what you need to use instead. Here's a comparisson:

[09:13:42][O365]# Get-Recipient -RecipientType UserMailbox | group RecipientTypeDetails -NoElement

Count Name
----- ----
16 SharedMailbox
16 UserMailbox
1 TeamMailbox
4 RoomMailbox
5 SchedulingMailbox
2 DiscoveryMailbox
1 EquipmentMailbox

[09:14:00][O365]# Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | group RecipientTypeDetails -NoElement

Count Name
----- ----
16 UserMailbox

View solution in original post