SOLVED
Home

view a list of all Teams that have been created in Microsoft teams created by users in admin console

Highlighted
Kevin Egan
Occasional Contributor

view a list of all Teams that have been created in Microsoft teams created by users in admin console

Hi, is there a way a global admin can view a list  in the 0365 admin console of all  Teams that have been created in Microsoft teams  by users.

I've tried the groups dashboard on exchange but it doesn't differentiate from other 0365 groups

Cheers

33 Replies

Re: view a list of all Teams that have been created in Microsoft teams created by users in admin con

Not in the portal, and there are no cmdlets yet that target just Teams. You can use the Teams app/portal, but it's not really convenient...

@Tony Redmond follows this kind of stuff more diligently than me, he might be able to help in case I missed some method to actually get just Teams.

Re: view a list of all Teams that have been created in Microsoft teams created by users in admin con

My two cents here:
(1) You can expect to have information about Teams created in the upcoming Teams reports to be added to current usage reports
(2) I expect at some time in the future we will able to easily get this information from the Microsoft Graph

Unfortunately, there is no information (that I can see) revealed by the Get-UnifiedGroup cmdlet. I have asked the development group to add properties that show whether a group is plan-enabled, team-enabled, or uses Yammer instead of Outlook to hold its conversations. We shall see whether anything is delivered.

Thanks all, where in the Teams web app can I see the list of all teams created? I can't seem to see them and I am a global admin in the 0365 tenant

Cheers

I can see when you 'add team' that you can search for teams that have been created but what will bring up a definitive listof all public and private teams that have been created?

We now have a situation where no-one can see the Team that was added to a Group (it was visible before) and we can't delete it and recreate it because there's no way to do this without being in the Team itself. Not even PowerShell commands? This is very poor design and makes administration a total nightmare. Now I have to go back the users and tell them we have to delete the Group and recreate it just to get this working.

UPDATE: We fixed this by making all the Group members Owners, then flipping them back to members. Making them Owners made them pop into Teams automatically. Here's the circumstances: Group was created with one Member (the Owner). The Owner created a Team and bolted it onto the Group. The Owner then added members to the GROUP through Outlook. Those Group members did not automatically pull over to Teams.

Teams uses Office 365 Groups for its membership service. The members you add to a team (or group) should be available to both sides. However, there is some directory synchronization needed behind the scenes and sometimes issues occur which mean that the synchronization is not as fast as it should be. Also, I think some caching of membership is done by the clients (for performance) and this might also account for delays in members showing up, especially in Teams. But eventually everything should settle down and the membership of both should be identical. Groups is the master and Teams is the slave when it comes to the directory.

Hi , I've just seen that you can create an audit log report of teams created on the tenant in the security and compliance section in the admin centre
Cheers

Correct. Audit Log (Security and Compliance) is the only source where you can build atm a MS Team List. You should see basically "Add" and "Delete" events.

Pulling this data on a regular basis should work (until MS Teams APIs are available)

This will get the groups Access Type and DisplayName i.e Private or Public with Powershell

get-unifiedgroup | select AccessType, DisplayName

Check the PowerShell script in the below blog, which will export csv of information like type, owner, no. of channel and channel list.
http://www.jijitechnologies.com/blogs/get-microsoft-teams-details

@NarasimaPerumal Chandramohan , Do you know how to get who created a Team?

Check if "createdOnBehalfOf" provide any information in Groups Graph API. It is mentioned that this field will not be set, if created by and admin.
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/api-reference/beta/resources/group

As far as I can tell, this only lists teams for which the user is an owner of. 
Is this designed to list all teams in the tenant?

For the record, it is true that audit records (operation id = TeamCreated) are captured when someone creates a new team from scratch through the Teams client. However, if you team-enable an existing group, an audit record is not captured. Therefore, you cannot rely on the audit report to give you a complete record of team creation. Seems like a bug!

Hi,

As a Team also gets a corresponding Group, it's easy to view them all from within OWA or the Azure portal. 

Solution

Well, I could do that, but I know that in my tenant there are 155 groups and only 36 of those are teams-enabled. The Azure portal and OWA show the 155 groups but don't tell me what the magic 36 are...

But if you use the script at https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Check-for-obsolete-Office-c0020a42, you can create a report of all Groups in your tenant showing what groups are team-enabled. And because it's PowerShell, you can make whatever changes you like to please yourself...

If you want another approach to finding teams-enabled groups, here's some alternative PowerShell that I hacked up yesterday when it was suggested that Get-MailboxFolderStatistics can help find these groups. This is a slower approach than using Get-TeamChannel because the cmdlet is an expensive one to run, but it might amuse you...

Write-Host "Fetching list of groups..."
$Groups = Get-UnifiedGroup
Write-Host "Starting to process" $Groups.Count "groups"
$Count = 0
ForEach ($G in $Groups) {
   $Test = (Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity $G.Alias -FolderScope ConversationHistory -IncludeOldestAndNewestItems)
   If ($Test -eq $Null) {
      Write-Host $G.DisplayName "no Conversation History folder found in mailbox"
      Write-Host $Test }
   Else {
       If (($Test.FolderType[1] -eq "TeamChat") -and ($Test.ItemsInFolder[1] -gt 0)) 
       { Write-Host $G.DisplayName "is team-enabled" 
          $Count++ }
       }
}
Write-Host $Count "of" $Groups.Count "are enabled for Teams"

That post just tells you how to use the Teams PowerShell module (my version is at https://www.petri.com/teams-powershell-primer). What point were you trying to make?

Is there any progress on how to get a teams list? As the audit log is just 3 months i need to find a reliable way to get a full list.

The PowerShell I posted (to check for the presence of the Team Chat folder) is a pretty reliable way of generating a list of team-enabled Groups. Have you tried it?

Thanks, I'll give it a go today.. 

BTW, https://gum.co/O365IT contains lots of examples of how to do this kind of stuff...

Restarted the powershell with unlimited.. -ResultSize Unlimited as my group count exceeded the default 1000. appears to be working!.

That's a lot of groups... so the script will take time to process. 

On the upside, it will be easy to add a few lines of code to output the data about the team-enabled groups to Excel... and then you can format and report the data as you wish.

Thanks,
about 3 hours to run and reported 83 /1112 groups as teams sites. not sure its accurate yet as missing some recent teams that were in the audit log, however a good start.

Why so long? I get half that number in minutes..
Alos If you are using the Get-Unified Groups, it brings back groups + Teams. To just get Teams filter on [ProvisioningOption]

Thanks, Ended up automating teams creation via an In house application - Only part that is missing is to install apps, which I believe is coming soon.

The ProvisioningOption property is undependable. Many of the groups in my tenant, even those created in the last month, have blank values.

As to Teams, I just created a new team and Get-UnifiedGroup reports that its provisioning option is "ExchangeProvisioningFlags:481." There are 29 groups (of 168) in the tenant with the same value in this property, but there are 39 team-enabled groups.

I also see options in groups for ExchangeProvisioningFlags:2020, 2028, and 227. I shall try and find out more about them.

I also see YammerProvisioning for groups created by Yammer. They seem accurate.

@Tony Redmondwhen I run your script it shows me the following, but the Teams Enabled column shows False for every group, which is the exact opposite of the result summary. Am i misunderstanding the results or did I do something wrong?

Number of groups scanned: 851

Number of Teams-enabled groups : 851

Percentage of Teams-enabled groups: 100.00%

I do know that I have some Teams, but the results don't show True for those those groups

I just ran the script.

Because it's PowerShell, you can look at the variables and figure out what's happening. For example:

$report | select groupname, teamenabled

Shows you a list of groups and their teams-enabled state. False means that a group is not teams-enabled. You can look at the raw data for a group that is shown to be team-enabled to see what it says and then check with the group itself to validate the data.

[PS] $report[4]

GroupName           : The Best Group of all
ManagedBy           : Frank Clonan
Members             : 10
ExternalGuests      : 0
Description         : Test Exchange Group
MailboxStatus       : Normal
TeamEnabled         : True
LastChat            : 23/04/2018 11:00:12
NumberChats         : 1
LastConversation    : 07/05/2016 16:28:36
NumberConversations : 300
SPOActivity         : Document library in use
SPOStatus           : Normal
NumberWarnings      : 1
Status              : Warning

A variable called $TeamsFalse tracks the groups that are not teams-enabled. You could extract the code where this variable is updated and check it against a team-enabled group to see what's happening. AFAIK, it works for me...

Again, it's PowerShell, so feel free to improve the code...

Please also see: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Teams-enabled-O365-Groups-report-workaround-i...
This is a simplistic, quick way to get group and whether teams enabled or not.