SOLVED
Home

Using Teams to Replace Skype

Highlighted
Mike Dumka
Occasional Contributor

Using Teams to Replace Skype

Hi There, 

I am having trouble figuring out how to use Teams as my only client and shut down Skype. I know that if I do not have Skype running I will get the notifications in Teams. But I only want 1 client. 

So my first big question is how do I send a message to a Skype user from Teams?

Thanks

27 Replies
Solution

Re: Using Teams to Replace Skype

Hi Mike. You'll still need Skype (for Business) for online meetings and calls with people outside your organization. You can hold a meeting within your org using Microsoft Teams, but attendees will need to be members of the team. Teams meetings have a limit of 80 attendees. You can share your screen in a Teams meeting. But if your org is in the practice of recording meetings, this feature isn't available in Teams yet. 

As for Skype for Business Interop

• Interoperability between Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business is currently available for peer to peer (P2P) instant messaging only.
  • For a Microsoft Teams user to send an IM to a Skype for Business user, the Microsoft Teams user must be enabled with their account homed in Skype for Business Online.
  • Incoming Skype for Business messages can be responded to on the Microsoft Teams client

- "Plan, Deliver and Operate Microsoft Teams" from the Planning Workshop PowerPoint at https://www.successwithteams.com/#Download.

And by the way, Teams is not aimed to replace Skype for Business or any other collaboration tool in the Office 365 ecosystem...the scenario you have just described is a good example. Teams is not designed as an IM solution to work with both organizational and not organizational users

That's right. The IM / Calls / Meetings are for enriching the real-time collaboration within the Team. Skype extends beyond the Team.

Hmm, I'm not so sure anymore, after seeing this in my Office 365 tenant:Teams_integration_office365_mail.PNG

This is going to confuse lots of folks! Is this really just an advert for Microsoft Teams and a nudge for those users to check out Teams, or something else? Either way, it seems poorly worded and out of place.

We've also seen this? Does anyone know if it's reversable?

As I understand Teams isn't a replacement for Skype so this feels wrong.

/Thomas

Same for us (French users) 
A bit confusing as we have some users fully online and for whom we can't let them without Skype IM...

Answer awaited with a huge restlessness...

Nico, I found your article helpful with more background info - Office 365 Mail pushing Microsoft Teams.  Sounds like this is (was?) just a temporary glitch but we can read more into if want to ;-)

I agree - I am all for MS Teams. We love it, but this was an unwelcome surprise on many levels. MS owes its customers an explanation QUICKLY.

We have the same issue (large manufacturing MNC).

Microsoft can't really do this until they have external guest access and federation working for Teams. My users of Skype Online (through OWA) cannot contact externals... It is impacting my Service Desk. 

UPDATE: Microsoft recognized this was a little mistake. It is fixed.

I agree with the frustration. This cannot be done this way, i haven't really understood that this was going to happen and i don't see any information about this change. 

It's creating a lot of confusion since we have disabled teams up until we can figure out how that space can interact (if) with our way of working which now consists of mainly yammer for social collaboration. Yes, I understand the advantages of teams but we are trying to avoid too much confusion too early.

Microsoft, this is extremely unfortunate and badly implemented/informed.

This story got picked up by Mary Jo Foley - Microsoft may be repositioning some (or all) of Skype for Business as Teams pointing to this very thread, that answers some of the questions many of us had.

"A number of Office 365 users received a big surprise today when trying to log onto Skype for Business."

Now confirmed -

"We're upgrading Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams. This will take us some time to complete. For now, this is an opt-in experience, as we continue to work on enhancing the Microsoft Teams experience."

We're upgrading Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams.png

I've got that message in the Admin center too but no other sign of it, and hope this is one of their crazy ideas that doesn't come to pass!?!

It's a pity the additional information link goes nowhere.

For testing purposes, we have multiple O365 tenants.  This message appeared in all of them today.  Within an hour, all of the messages were gone.  Oooops.  

Same for us.

Today, we have another surprise. You can add external guest users - but it doesn't work after you add them.

The external guest gets an email saying they've been added, but when they try to get in, it fails...

I am getting some private messages basically implying people don't believe me when I say external access is half-turned-on :)

Screenshots.

Picture1.pngPicture2.png

UPDATE: Microsoft Product Group contacted me on this. It was a small mistake. It only impacts users that were in Azure AD already, not "new" external guest users. It still fails, but it seems this will be fixed soon.

@Josh SullinsTeams is built on groups, groups allow guest access, that's what you are seeing and has been there since the start. It's useful to know that when uploading a file using Teams that this might be seen by a guest accessing SharePoint.

Guest access to Teams conversation is coming, it's been talked about on the roadmap for a long time, and I'm sure we'll get all the details about it at Ignite.

You are right @Steven Collier, but this morning we got a message in all our Teams based on O365 Groups that already had externals in them, that the externals were added in the Team. So, I think something happened today, maybe it was possible before, and it is a little bug, but the message was an issue.

Again, MS PG contacted me (appreciated) and I know it will be addressed.

You are right @Steven Collier, but this morning we got a message in all our Teams based on O365 Groups that already had externals in them, that the externals were added in the Team. So, I think something happened today, maybe it was possible before, and it is a little bug, but the message was an issue.

Again, MS PG contacted me (appreciated) and I know it will be addressed.

Yes, I have seen this in a couple of tenants so it seems Microsoft is already rolling out something...I was worried about the fact that external users had already access to my Teams, but I checked that's not the case...I hope they release both private channels and external guests support at the same time or at least provide granular controls for guests users at the Team Level

What is the most appropriate response now that it has been announced the teams will "take over" for S4B? I heard that we will be setting up and taking phone calls using Skype but am not sure where info is for the path forward. I also read that there will be the ability to call in via regular phone (without needing special PBX PSTN add-ons). Any news?

Well worth checking the FAQ, along with the other resources, if you haven't seen it yet.  It mentions, amongst other things, Inbound and outbound calls to PSTN numbers, as well as basic calling features (hold, call transfer, speed dial, voicemail) are to be added plus support for USB & IP phone hardware.  Also, audio conferencing is being added to Microsoft Teams.  There is a roadmap update due in October for Teams, that might add some further clarity.

Please , Do not hold your breath waiting on clear details. I think the automatic enabling caught a lot of Admins by surprise. I have turned off Teams until we can determine how the interaction with Groups, SharePoint, OneDrive are securely managed. We already had lots of problems with people creating custom share invitations breaking our SharePoint security.
Related Conversations
No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams
Nick Davies  in  Microsoft Teams  on
24 Replies
Teams crashes on check for updates
Jonathon Halford  in  Microsoft Teams  on
36 Replies
Create private channel in a team
Catalin Prata  in  Microsoft Teams  on
45 Replies
How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"
Mike Dumka  in  Microsoft Teams  on