06-27-2017 01:44 PM
06-27-2017 02:01 PM
06-27-2017 02:19 PM
This is a compliance/audit/continuity thing. I wish it didn't revert to "Unknown User" and instead would leave the user's name but mark them as Inactive or Deleted, but imagine if that piece of each conversation for those users simply went away. Those old conversations would no longer make any sense, and it would render that content almost unusable and make search results much less effective if it was returning broken conversations.
06-28-2017 05:28 AM
this is across the tenant as a whole, It doesn't matter what user you choose you see Unknown user.
It basically makes searching unsuable because everyone is an unknown user. Which makes teams useless.
06-28-2017 08:59 AM
If that is happening for all users regardless, more likely to be some sort of identity/AD thing. Would check the health of that side/configuration, or open a support ticket with Microsoft if everything is ok and no recent changes occurred.
03-16-2018 06:32 AM - edited 03-16-2018 06:32 AM
We had the same issue for several users in the company. We resolved by flushing the cache: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams (->delete all the content from this folder when Teams is closed, then restart Teams).
Hope this help.
03-15-2019 04:36 AM
@Michele Cagnetta Hi. This didn't work for a few of our users which are seeing Unknown User. The issue appears to be quite random in fact. Having looked at a couple of other threads on the topic, there's mention of it being a known issue/bug. Also, what I'm not sure if I see in this thread or not... we are seeing this for currently active users (i.e. they have not been deleted or even changed through O365). Also, something I don't see mentioned here (so not sure if it's the same symptom), but when we hover over the Unknown User, all of the correct and full name and details appear.
03-15-2019 05:23 AM
03-15-2019 06:11 AM
Hopefully something they are aware of and working to update then. Just feels a bit too buggy seeing what we are seeing (i.e. it's very intermittent). And whether I posted here or on another post, non of the users affected have had any change in their O365 user account whatsoever.
If I ask around the other users in the office today, it actually looks like everyone is seeing the issue, with no rhyme or reason as to which users show up as UU.
The weird one for us (and from what I can see differs across the 4 separate threads on this topic)... we only see Unknown User as highlighted in this screenshot. The user's name even appears correctly in the chat window.
And if you hover over the UU, all the details show up correctly.
03-15-2019 07:12 AM
03-15-2019 07:56 AM
@adam deltinger Thanks for this. I've created a new ticket with MS and will update here as soon as I have anything. If you beat me to it and get any news on Twitter, please let us know.
To recap (and for anyone else looking into this one now)... we are starting to see Unknown User for active users. No users have been deleted or removed and we're not talking about guests. Clearing cache and reinstalling (steps including above) has not solved anything.
03-18-2019 04:27 AM
03-18-2019 06:19 AM
@Par Linderoth Yes, they responded within a couple of hours of raising the ticket. First question for me was whether or not the issue was repro'ing in the web app. I wasn't able to check until this morning, but as per someone else's reply above... I think this issue has been fixed now. We're not seeing it in desktop Teams app anymore (and nobody here uses the web app). So I guess if anyone comes across this post with the same issue... worth checking if the web app's doing it too.
And I'm afraid I can't comment on the relevance of SfB or not. Whilst I saw references to it when I first starting seeing the issue, none of our users are using it (Teams only).
Anyway, I have responded to my friendly ambassador managing my ticket. If there's anything else they ask, or if they can tell me what the issue was... I'll be sure to share it here in case it's useful for anyone. Of course I could be wrong, but your issue ("Chat has been disabled by administrator") could be something completely unrelated.
03-21-2019 06:24 AM
@Dave Palmer I started to experience this problem today, so it still seems like there is something wrong. I have the same behavior both in the client and the web app. There is also a banner stating "We have problems with updating your messages. Please try again." (I have translated the text from Swedish so it may not be exactly the right text).
It also seems like I, so far, am quite alone with this problem in my organization.
03-26-2019 03:38 AM
@Lars Sandberg Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately I'm at the limit of my knowledge here. Sounds like it's a slightly different to the issue we had (which has remained fixed in just over a week now, and that wasn't by actually doing anything, so probably something server or cloud side). Not much more I can suggest to you other than raise a ticket. They got back to me within a couple of hours. Maybe before raising a ticket, check the forum again - I might have linked to them above, but when I first started looking into this 'Unknown User'... there's more than one post here. So clearly a complex symptom that could result from a variety of reasons.