Home

TEAMS and LINUX: The Future is Now!

Aubrey Marshall
Occasional Contributor

TEAMS and LINUX: The Future is Now!

Using Microsoft TEAMS in a web browser and getting the same level of capabilities as the Windows Desktop client has been limited at best, especially for Linux users. The inability to video conference or share desktops and applications or give presentations usually makes using TEAMS on Linux a no go.  

Using Linux myself to host my VMs for various OSes, the need to be able to use TEAMS and other Office 365 tools on Linux is quite high. It’s not always convenient to boot a Windows VM for a meeting or send emails or collaborate with a Team mate. Fortunately, and surprisingly this is no longer the case when using TEAMS on Linux. But to enable this new level of functionality requires just a bit of effort on the end user’s part. 

By using Chromium or Chrome browsers and making a few settings tweaks an installing a single browser extension you can achieve near parity with the Windows desktop client. You should be able to make in-private video calls, give presentations and use other functionality not previously possible in TEAMS for Linux users. 

Unfortunately, there has not been enough time to completely vet this as thoroughly as desired to identify what is or is not working once these changes are made. So, hopefully the TEAMS community will tackle this and update this site accordingly with their findings. 

Please keep in mind that you will need to have the appropriate TEAMS and sharing settings enabled in your Office 365 tenant. Also, for expediency sake this article will not be getting into the minutiae of the following step by step procedure for TEAMS on Linux. 

To get started there are a few required resources that you will need to have so just follow the step by step to get going. 

Step 1: Download and install one of the browsers listed below. 

1. Chrome for Linux 
  2. Chromium for Linux 

Step 2: Install the following extension from the Google Webstore. 

1. User Agent Switcher for Chrome 

Step 3: Add one or both of the following user agent strings to the “User Agent Switcher for Chrome”. This will allow you to switch to the desired one that works for your system. 

1. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.140 Safari/537.36 Edge/17.17134 
  2. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/51.0.2704.79 Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14393X 

Step 4: Click the User Agent Switcher and choose your Edge browser string. This should remain selected until you change it to something else or back to the browser default. 

Step 5: Open the Chrome browser, in the address bar type Chrome://flags and hit the Enter key. In the search box provided, search for each of the settings below. Set each one to ENABLED. 

1. Hardware Acceleration 
    1. Override software rendering list: ENABLED 
  2. PWA 
    1. Enable PWA full code cache: ENABLED 
    2. Desktop PWAs: ENABLED 
    3. Desktop PWAs Link Capturing: ENABLED 
  3. WEBRTC 
    1. Negotiation with GCM cipher suites for SRTP in WebRTC: ENABLED 
    2. Negotiation with encrypted header extensions for SRTP in WebRTC: ENABLED 
    3. WebRTC Stun origin header: ENABLED 
    4. WebRTC Echo Canceller 3: ENABLED 
    5. WebRTC new encode cpu load estimator: ENABLED 
    6. WebRTC H.264 software video encoder/decoder: ENABLED 
  4. Downloads 
    1. Parallel downloading: ENABLED 
  5. Verify that Setting work. 
    1. Open Microsoft Teams in your browser.  
    2. Start a private chat with someone and verify that the video chat icon switches from grey to purple and white. If so, you can start making video calls and you should also be able to make presentation.  

One quick note; this same procedure should also work on Windows and MAC but further testing is required for these platforms. 

Enjoy! 

11 Replies

Re: TEAMS and LINUX: The Future is Now!

UPDATE - While you can use the EDGE UA to participate in Conference calls it may cause issues with not displaying the most current posts in a TEAMS channel. So you may have to switch between the EDGE UA and the browser default UA.

Hello,

Thanks for this webpage this is very nice to see Teams working on Linux.

For ones who doesn't know where to change the settings, just go to chrome://flags

I just tried it with Google Chrome 69 on Debian Sid.

If enabled everything mentioned, I can NOT join a meeting.

If I disable "Negotiation with encrypted header extensions for SRTP in WebRTC", I can join a meeting, hear, speak, share my camera, see other's camera and see other's share screen BUT I can NOT share my screen, I get this message: "Desktop sharing isn't supported in your browser yet. Meanwhile, the desktop app already has it, so why not give that a try?". 

Did I need to install an other deb package ?

Did I need to use an other Google-Chrome version ?

Or did I missed something ?

Thanks for you answer.

Here more details on my Google Chrome version.

Google Chrome: 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Revision: 8920e690dd011895672947112477d10d5c8afb09-refs/branch-heads/3497@{#948}
Javascript: V8 6.9.427.23
Flash: 31.0.0.108 /home/USER/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/31.0.0.108/libpepflashplayer.so
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/69.0.3497.100 Safari/537.36
Command Line: /usr/bin/google-chrome --flag-switches-begin --enable-webrtc-srtp-aes-gcm --enable-webrtc-stun-origin --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-features=DesktopPWAWindowing,DesktopPWAsLinkCapturing,NewEncodeCpuLoadEstimator,PWAFullCodeCache,ParallelDownloading,WebRTC-H264WithOpenH264FFmpeg,WebRtcUseEchoCanceller3 --flag-switches-end

Hello, 

I have the same problem. The Video and Phone call works fine, but the screen sharing give this message "Desktop sharing isn't supported in your browser yet. Meanwhile, the desktop app already has it, so why not give that a try?"

Is there any solution?

Thanks

Thanks for posting Aubrey I have the same problem. The Video and Phone call works fine, but the screen sharing give this message "Desktop sharing isn't supported in your browser yet.

@Aubrey Marshall: I should thank you for posting this. But OTOH "go to the Chrome settings screen" is plain wrong information. I have searched how to set the options you specify until I saw blue in the face. Is it so difficult to write: "chrome://flags?"

Thanks Thibault Cohen for the pointer to chrome://flags. The original article mentioned Chrome Settings. To me that is --well-- Chrome settings.

Thanks for the feed back. I updated the post to reflect Chrome://flags in step 5.

When it comes to the User-Agent Switcher for Chrome in Step 3, it doesn't say if this needs Appended or Replaced and nothing about the required Indicator Flag...

@Aubrey MarshallI've also observed this behavior but I think it's not necessarily to switch between profiles - instead try logging out and logging in. In my case that helped and all chats displayed correctly.

In order to get the calls to work I used the instructions listed here, but in Step 3 had to add an entry for Edge as follows and then select this Edge setting from the switcher.

Edge Edge/17.17134 Edge 17

While the info is in the post, it may not be clear.

hi. Guys
first thanks for this post. i follow the steps and i am able to run and receive call on browser on centos 7 chrome browser using below string
Edge Edge/17.17134 Edge 17

but when i make call it shows me that its calling but receiving peron didn't receive any call and after call ended he able to see a missed call notification. while he not receive any call notification or popup.

i will really appreciate if you help me. because i really want to switch to linux centos 7 version.

Thanks in advance

Related Conversations
Add a member to a channel within a team
Denis Soldatenko in Microsoft Teams on
9 Replies
Announcing a Microsoft Teams AMA!
Dylan Snodgrass in Microsoft Teams AMA on
10 Replies
Adding external users to teams
Catherine CHAZELAS in Microsoft Teams on
48 Replies
Problems loging into Teams!