Home

Setting back to Island mode after automatic upgrade

Highlighted
Mark Eckert
Occasional Contributor

Setting back to Island mode after automatic upgrade

Hello, i was wondering if any one can comment what actually happens after the "Teams automatic upgrade"?

Is just TeamsOnly mode added and set as the Organization coexistence setting?  Is it possible to flip it back to Island mode at the organization level, after the automatic upgrade?

I have reached out to MS Support and they would not budge on deferring our scheduled automatic upgrade.  Look to see what option I have to run both Teams and SFB in parallel for a bit longer.

thank you

7 Replies

Re: Setting back to Island mode after automatic upgrade

That's odd, my understanding has always been that upgrades would only be made with the consent (or rather without an opt-out) of the tenant admins. What exactly were you notified with?

Thanks for your response, I was notified with an email

2018-11-12_1542.png

Then on the bottom it says to contact support, i tried that.  No budging on the date.  It was bizarre, 3 days of back and forth, meandering around my request to defer the date.

what i was told that, i can switch it back to Island mode aftermy upgrade.  I am not sure if i believe that, and was curious if anyone had this same experience, or can comment if they have switched it back to Island mode post automatic upgrade.  as it stands right now, i have no idea when the upgrade will actually happen that day, and our SFB users may experience an brief outage until i flip it back, if that is even possible

Hopefully, Mark's experience is not shared by many others.   Would love to see a MS rep comment here about how the upgrades will be handled...

@Mark Eckert I'm getting some more details from the product group but it would seem that you can still change the mode back to Islands after the change. I'll let you know when they confirm this. My assumption would be that if you set specifically users to a particular mode that this would not effect them, it would be the tenant default. 

@Steven Collier  thanks.

that would be great if you could clarify whether you can set it Island mode at the tenant level or just at the user level, post automatic upgrade.

my preference would be to flip it back to Island mode at the tenant level, like it is now.  thanks

Thanks for sharing this detail with the community, I've put together a quick blog summary here, welcome any feedback

http://tomtalks.uk/2018/11/microsoft-automatically-upgrading-some-small-office-365-tenants-from-skyp...

Tom

I just wanted to followup, in the event anyone can benefit from this, related to automatic teams upgrade.

what I learned from this exercise with MS Support is that that the teams upgrade email that i received was not directly from MS, it was from some third party.  MS Support informed me there was no upgrade scheduled.  Sure enough the upgrade date and came and went, and the suspected tenant did not upgrade.

what I thought then, maybe this upgrade was targeted on another tenant that I manage (since the email i received, is an address i have set as an alternate email in various global admin accounts), however I looked and didn't see any upgrade happen on any of the other tenants.

so, i am not sure what the deal was - very bizarre set of circumstances. 

One note it would be helpful for the upgrade emails to include the tenant info in the email, the upgrade emails i received did not.

Related Conversations
3rd Party Apps
Damon Tyler in Microsoft Teams on
2 Replies
No Team Channel Notifications
Jake Baldwin in Microsoft Teams on
94 Replies
Exit or change organization
Jorge Lanza in Microsoft Teams on
4 Replies