Home

New Teams get a Wiki in place of a Notebook

Darrell Webster
MVP

New Teams get a Wiki in place of a Notebook

Have you noticed since GA, new Microsoft Teams get a Wiki rather than a OneNote notebook? 

Why is that? Is it a promotional move to remove OneNote and get more people using this new Wiki thing? It looks useful, but wondering why the notebook was dropped as a default. 

[Edit] I recorded a Periscope to explore and discuss the new Wiki tab. 20 min long but may help with this discussion. 

35 Replies

Re: New Teams get a Wiki in place of a Notebook

I'd like to know as well. Our office is finally getting the hang of libraries and changing to wikis is going to be difficult. We tried a wiki roll out earlier but most of our end users couldn't get the hang of it. I've had to work with folks to get them use to using OneNote and this just feels like an unnecessary change to ask people to make

We were discussing this yesterday at aOS Dublin KeyNote :-)...as @Tony Redmond said, the change in the name of the tab is just to remove the confussion between having a OneNote tab and a Notes tab

I've also noticed the Wiki isn't so flexible - there's locking problems whereby someone can be "stuck" editing a session forever...

I wonder if we'll see native support in the mobile app for Wiki notes?  Right now these aren't available though technically a user could use the OneNote app to backdoor into the channel notes.  Maybe this new native wiki component will then setup the ability to extend that into the mobile client.

Does anyone know if these piece of new functionality will also appear in existing sites?

On the one hand it's nice to get upgrades on old sites, however it could also break things on existing sites.

RE: New Teams get a Wiki in place of a Notebook

The Wiki tab is brand new for GA and we'd love to get your feedback. I'll try to get the product manager engaged here directly. A few things I can cover up front: - you can add it to any existing team or channel, just go to the tab gallery (+ in the tabs row) - you can break the editing lock if it's stuck - try out the built-in at-mentions and section-level conversation threads - really core to why/how we built Wiki

Thing is @Juan Carlos González Martín, it's not only a change in name. OneNote is out of sight, out of mind. The OneNote notebook is still present and ready to use. But it has not sections until it is added as a tab. 

The Wiki tab can be added to existing channels. But it doesn't appear in your associated team site. 

Yeap, I know and to me I was a surprise this addition because while it's true we don't have mentioning features in OneNote, I consider OneNote is a much more PowerFull tool than the new Wiki Tab

Don't know Pieter...I'm curious to know where the Wiki page and the wiki information is stored...AFAIK, it's not stored in the Team SPO Site

We use the Team notebook all the time, open in the OneNote application. Yes, even from mobiles. Think of this use-case:
Your team is going to sponsor or attend a conference.
You create a channel for the conference within your Team and connect OneNote to the Team notebook.
On your mobiles, you all open the section in the notebook that is created for the channel. e.g. Ignite_Orlando.
Using the camera feature, you scan pictures of business cards with the built in Office Lens. You add notes with the picture of the business card.
Within the Teams app, you all use the Ignite_Orlando channel for communication and co-ordination during the conference.
Team members who are not going to the conference can participate in conversation, ask questions, process leads from the notebook, view files and links shared.
...I could go on... and on.
OneNote is very powerful.
I also believe the Wiki tab will develop into a powerful way to capture and discuss nuggets of knowledge in the team. I like the social features within it. But yes, it's new and will have a few rough edges and short-comings for a little while.

Re: RE: New Teams get a Wiki in place of a Notebook

I do like that the Wiki enables quick capture of knowledge nuggets. It encourages conversation around that knowledge. Though by removing the notebook from the default channel tabs, note-taking will be out of sight, out of mind. OneNote intersects a number of different services and products in Office 365.
Why not present both the Wiki and OneNote? (Though I know orgs that use OneNote as a team Wiki too.)

Good question. @Dan Stevenson, is the Wiki stored with the Microsoft Team, in each O365 data center? 

Will it's content show up in an eDiscovery search? 

I edited the original post in this thread and added a video, exploring and discussing the new Wiki tab in Teams. 

@Juan Carlos González Martín,

When you use the copy link ( I foudn it doesn't work in all locations

yet) then you get a Url like this:

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/entity/com.microsoft.teamspace.tab.wiki/tab%3a%3a9006874a-f058-4294-8c...

So it looks like this might be stores in the teams.microsoft.com site or at least in a database connected to teams. This is unlikely to be any SharePoint like technology.

Yeap, I was almost sure Wiki content was not stored in SPO

I don't want to be rude, but how one can name Wiki in its current state any useful when no markdown is there? You even can't make a linkable text or pasted link clickable.

Darrell, I'm using the wiki as more of a presentation tool, and then using OneNote as the shared notes/research/creative space for the team. For example, I used the wiki to post walk-throughs of some repeated tasks/processes for new employees. Yes, you can use OneNote the same way, but for me, the wiki provides a quick and easy way to provide an outline of steps, use the table of contents on the left to navigate through those steps. And the comment capable is great for team feedback/discussion on each step, which has already led to changes to these processes. On one team, we have created multiple wikis -- renaming them for key activities. yes, We could have placed all of them in one wiki, but we wanted the tabs at the top for easy navigation.

Great... MS gave us a Wiki that does not follow wiki standards!!!

Hi Darrel, Thank you for the nice demo on the wiki.

I think that with the comment here you clarifyed the use cases of wiki and OneNote (at least for me:):

- Wiki will be the quick capture of knowledge nuggets and conversations around these nuggets.

- OneNote can be the permanent location of a structured knowledge (maybe after the conversation on the wiki is complete). Creating a section on OneNote only after you made a Tab, indicates that you would need this, instead of having blank sections for each channel, as it was during the Teams Preview.

And we don't have to worry about where the wiki nuggets have been stored and how to make sure that they have been retained, if our long term knowledge is stored in OneNote.

So if notes are for long term and wikis are for short term notes then something isn't right.

The many wiki sites that you find on the web are huge knowledge bases (long term) and people do not keep their paper yellow stickies(notes) very long..... Sounds like the names are the wrong way around

We took the Wiki off of our team sites because it's not flexible and we couldn't use the way we wanted.  You have no idea who posted what there, so people would ask questions and have no idea who was answering.  We replaced the Wiki tabs with the "old" OneNote tab.

Hi!

the info written into the WIKI tab, where are stored at file system level ?

I observed that the OneNote notes, are editable even with OneNote (offline) and saved somewhere else.

But the wiki pages... where are stored exactly ?

P.

Also for a knowledge base function as Wiki is known for, there is no search option! Or am I missing something?

And indeed, where is it stored?

I am looking for a nice knowlegde base functionality. What should I use? I liked the Wiki option in Teams, but since there is no search option, it is pretty useless.

I'm curious about this too. Where is the data stored and how can it be referenced outside Teams?

Folks,

This is not a wiki if you can not lnk to other wiki pages.  It is not at all obvious how to do that, nor how to link to external URLs.

Agree!

Is there a way to remove the wikis from the site template?

I did some digging and figured out the following - the wiki is actually stored in SharePoint, as lists.

Whenever you create a Wiki, a uniquely named list is created like so: <number>:<random_guid>@thread.skype_wiki

Those lists are not visible immediatelly in the SharePoint site created, but they do indeed exist there - either switch to the classic look and you should see them under Recent or list them using JavaScript from browser console.

Each item has the following properties:

• Title
  • wikiCanvasId
  • wikiPageId
  • wikiTitle
  • wikiContent
  • wikiUser
  • wikiTimestamp
  • wikiDeleted
  • wikiSession
  • wikiSpare1
  • wikiSpare2
  • wikiSpare3
  • wikiConversationId
  • wikiMetadata
  • wikiOrder

On the background it is communicating by using SharePoint web API.

Thanks @Jan Hajek. I had a response on my video from someone who found the same. 

I edited one of the items and used HTML markup to add an image to a Teams Wiki page. 

Now that I'm checking it a few days later, the image wont appear.

Just playing around. I would expect an end user to find the list, the item and then edit the field with html tags to insert images.  

Thanks @Jan Hajek,

I wrote up the findings after reading your post on my blog.

https://veenstra.me.uk/2017/04/27/office-365-microsoft-teams-a-look-under-the-hood/

Can you put a document into a wiki?

Don't think so, you could add a link to a document

From what I see of the Wiki so far, I like parts of it but it feels like about a 60% solution and I don't think it was ready for the way it's deployed on all channels automatically.  It should be an option we can add.

Wiki isn't a wiki. It's useless right now.

Ok, that's not quite correct.  It's not useless, it's just not a wiki, more of a gimped version of OneNote but renamed.

Related Conversations
Adding external users to teams
Sean Whyment  in  Microsoft Teams  on
301 Replies
How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"
Mike Dumka  in  Microsoft Teams  on
39 Replies
Spawning unlimited channels
Luke Hares  in  Microsoft Teams  on
48 Replies
No Team Channel Notifications
Jake Baldwin  in  Microsoft Teams  on