Home

Can't create channel as it says channel already exists

Highlighted
Brendan Byrne
Occasional Contributor

Can't create channel as it says channel already exists

When trying to create a channel I get "Another Channel already has that name. Try a different one" but a channel of that name doesn't exist (See below)

snip_20170314224544.png

What may have caused this is - I created a channel a few days ago but I spelt it wrong. I then renamed the channel to the correct spelling but it didn't change the link to the folder in the document library, so I deleted the channel. Now when I try create the new channel with the correct spelling it won't let me.

• Microsoft Teams
  • User Interface
15 Replies

Re: Can't create channel as it says channel already exists

Could it be that you have a group with the same name?

I'm having the same issue. I have deleted a channel and am trying to add it back with the same name.

I don't get prompted when typing the channel name, but after clicking "Add" I get a "Another channel already has that name. Try a different one."

This is a huge oversight, any workaround?

From my understanding this is working as intended for now because of the way the security and compliance features work. Once a Team or Channel is created, that name is forever taken right now for tracking and audit purposes. Different Teams can have the same Channel name, but no two Teams can have the same name and no two Channels can have the same name within a team, even after deletion.

RE: Can't create channel as it says channel already exists

I had this problem but I caused it myself. I created a channel then deleted it. When I tried to add it again, it said the channel already existed.

I can understand "for now," but this is a serious oversight in regards to corporate environments where naming conventions are so important.

a bug, not a feature.

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17009224-recreate-deleted-chan...

Strict policy on the Team name (which is also the Office 365 Group name) I understand. But Channel? Every team is going to be somewhat unique. Even if you start them with a template, they are going to diverge onto their own path relatively quickly. If you keep things so locked down that they can't make their Teams experience at least somewhat their own, I would be concerned you'll begin to see low adoption and retention.

I'm sitting on a little over 30k users and we're probably a little more free than I'd like, but we'll be instituting some sort of automated inactivity governance solution that offers easy ways to harvest and archive data and then either locks the team into read-only or straight up deletes it, potentially depending on its data classification level via something like Azure Information Protection. Everyone always says they need all those ancient SharePoint sites we all still have laying around and have been migrating from version to version over the years, but if you go look at the usage stats the only people that go in there is the search crawl/index.

Hint hint Microsoft, don't make me custom develop this solution please! :)

Re: RE: Can't create channel as it says channel already exists

Please fix this.

So.... if someone randomly creates a 'Microsoft' channel by misstake then deleted it..... this means that nobody can use the term 'Microsoft' ever again ??? This is absurd.

agreed – huge bug imo.

Totally agree. Please fix this issue ASAP! 

Agree. Please fix urgently. Creating massive usability issues!

I ran into this today. Is this going to be fixed? There is no way I'm rolling out Teams to any user without this being fixed.

Brendan,
Does the folder in the Document library still exist? Are there any assets left related to that channel? 

I've had a similar issue where I initially created a Channel using its acronym and renamed it to its full title. Just tried creating another Channel using the acronym again and Teams successfully added one. 

FY

Just to clarify with team naming it seems something may have been updated because I am able to create 2 teams with the same name, and I confirmed that someone else can create a team with the same name.

Uhhhhh... that is not a good idea, at all :) Hold please, this one merits a chat...

Reproduced this myself, and logged the concern with Microsoft.

The Teams seem to be different on the backend, but having 2+ Teams with the exact same display name is going to be wildly confusing to users IMO. Imagine 2+ Public Teams with the same exact name. Which do you choose to join? If you choose both, how do you remember which is which?

Related Conversations