SOLVED

Yammer may be dead?

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

We have this sentence being repeated by people in some departments in our company We are deploying Yammer in our company, and we showed the MS roadmap and the latests changes e.g. Office 365 groups integration, but this keeps going, and we think that this must be clarified finally to stop this to have a good deployment and engagement from the user side.

Can someone provide an "Official Answer" and some additional arguments that helps?

12 Replies
best response confirmed by Jordi Ruana (Occasional Contributor)
Solution

Yammer isn't dying, this is an urban myth these days.  If you want to hear the thoughts direct from the Yammer team and some related commentary, I asked this very question in a recent AMA - Yammer Roadmap.

I think it's more a case of understanding where Yammer fits and works best alongside the other collaboration options in Office 365.

It's well worth checking these Yammer related sessions from last month, for more "proof" Yammer isn't going anywhere.  Also, check out this blog from this space - Among Email and Microsoft Teams, Yammer Still Has Its Place.  This also may provide some more insights - Which Side of Yammer Are You On?

Hope that helps.

Hi, Jordi.  I've seen people online declare "Yammer is dead" for years, which if you think about it, kind of proves that the notion is suspect; you can't repeatedly die, right?  To the contrary, the usage of Yammer continues to grow, as does Microsoft's investment in the platform.

I would love to hear what reasons your IT department gives for this statement.  I know that Yammer specifically and ESN generally threatens the status quo, as do all disruptive technologies and methodologies.  Perhaps some within the IT department who do not wish to adopt new ideas would like to see Yammer fade away, but all evidence of which I am aware points to the opposite being the reality.  

Thank you for bringing this quesiton here.

Jordi,

@Cian Allner did a wonderful job rounding up resources for you, but I've heard that in the coming months you'll have plenty more on hand, with fresh case studies and clear investment in Yammer.

Dan Holme, who would **bleep** well know, was slinging Monty Python references ("Bring out your dead!!!") with us in the Microsoft MVP network about this super tired, twenty-minutes-ago meme. Yes, as a Yammer MVP I'm particularly tired of hearing it from non-Yammer MVPs who sometimes can't be bothered to understand the full features of the the platform. This "ex-parrot" right here is going to start biting soon if it keeps up.

Right now the buzz is around Teams, and with general availability freshly launched, I expect work on a Yammer option in the "+" tab in that environment. It's utterly obvious that high-velocity teaming often exists in relationship to a larger/complex project environment and/or communities of interest or practice. These teaming channels should also plug easily into a greater corporate context where there's potential value from "unknown connections" that the team would never recognize or involve; plus straight-up lift-and-shift, iteration/repurposing elsewhere in the company. You're only going to get this one-two punch from Teams AND Yammer, where you can get both the fierce focus AND the serendipity/innovation/replay... because, pro tip, reinventing the wheel a dozen times over in narrow silos is slower, fellas.

Besides,

- Kirk Koenigsbauer noted in a recent event that Yammer's YOY growth this last cycle is 70%, moving up from 55% prior cycle

- the Yammer team is growing / hiring

- edit post in Yammer was/is a hell of a lot of work and it's finally arriving

Seriously, if Yammer's dead, better get your fast zombie geek on, y'all.

The "D" word is addressed in my recent blog post highlighting the current changes to Yammer with Groups and some upcoming features (Edit Post, Desktop Apps) that show Yammer is very much alive and is poised to thrive.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/welcome-office-365-yammer-kevin-crossman

Hope your IT department doesn't tell that to my Yammer network with its 30% engagement month after month!

Seriously, I hope the links & discussion above give you the tools you need to counter this spurious claim. For that's all it is. I do wonder if it's just an easy way out, too; if they claim something is dead, they don't have to do anything about it. 

Here we managed a good collusion between the business side and the IT side. The business side did all the heavy lifting (hopefully comparatively speaking--my IT guy is fond of saying that he's there to manage buttons and lights), from launch to deployment. Perhaps there's still more to take away from IT shoulders than the current status quo?

Thanks @Cian Allner for all the resurces you provided. We have clear that Yammer it's not dying but we have this voices allways using any opportunity to repeat this. People does not like this open channels and transparency, it is related to change management and mindset changes. We have a "long and winding road". We started on January 18, we are still newbies with a lot to learn...

@Tom Kretzmer Totally agree with yor comments. People likes to keep the things in the way who always did it, refusing changes.

And thanks to all the others who provided your comments.

I've heard a rumour that IT departments may be dead. See this post on IT transformation and ask your IT team about it. You can also produce blogposts that declare HR dead, Marketing dead and so on. Declaring something dead is a good way to get a headline and 'bad news' is more viral. However, I think what 'everyone says' is a poor guide to IT decisions and I am not a big one for making people respond to rumours.

Seriously, ask them to do what IT departments are meant to do on important architectural choice questions - do their research. A number of analysts indicate that Microsoft is at the front of the pack on collaboration because of its complete suite including Yammer. That rating would be significantly poorer without Yammer.  Teams is great and adds to that story. I suspect that is the answer that means most.

As others have noted here, any collaboration technology depends on the culture of the organisation, the support for change and ongoing community management. There are no magic bullets in changing how people work together.

Absolutelly agree Simon. Probably they think that way due to Teams being added to the portfolio that this could bring some misunderstanding.
And of course, the support for change is key on this deployment. You never can change the culture of people by adding technology, I've seen this in the past, when in 2009 I tried to implement Yammer, people answer was simple: Another tool to look at....

A maturing Enterprise Social market doesn't signal the death of a product. In fact, Microsoft expanding its collaboration offering is probably a sign that Yammer is used for things that it wasn't ever designed for. Apart from the official use-cases, it tends to be a decent workaround for broken tools and processes!

More here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/enterprise-social-just-died-again-benjamin-elias

Not sure I'll provide much additional value but wanted to weigh in a little!  I'm co-founder of Wiretap (additional Security+DLP for Yammer) and from my customers, Yammer continues to be a social tool they are leveraging.  Some are interested in adding Teams due to the inner/outer loop messaging (which helps a lot).  Many organizations we work with prefer the style of Yammer to teams as its the way their organization works.  I think the spotlight will ebb/flow for Yammer/Teams and often be shared.

My 2c... with Workplace by Facebook gaining more traction, I would be surprised if Microsoft doesn't react.  They will surely need to invest additional resources to stay competitive and not lose Yammer customers to Workplace by Facebook.  Competition there will surely mean a better Yammer/O365 product.  The continued investment of bringing more O365 features into the fold for yammer (calls, regional deployment, security, etc.) only makes the value prop for Yammer stronger than ever.