Windows 11 - Not looking forward to these updates...

Copper Contributor

Hello

Apparently there are some changes coming to Windows 11 that will make it very difficult to secure and manage PCs in an office/domain environment.  Specifically, Ads showing up in the File Explorer.  It's bad enough they show in the start menu and the lock screen.  Please stop sending ads to our users.  Even if there is a way to disable them, that's no the point.  They shouldn't be there at all.

Also, please do not remove the ability to have a local user account on the machine.  We do not want to have to create Microsoft Cloud Accounts for every user.  Some devices only need local accounts.  If Windows 11 continues down this path of Web First, Ads-a-plenty, we will have to stop using Windows and look at alternatives.  

Hopefully I'm not alone in these concerns, and if this post can get enough likes, then perhaps the Windows Engineers will scrap these design changes...

Thanks

Steve.

6 Replies
Are you using Windows 10 or Windows 11?
How did you know about these features?
Do you have reference from the official Microsoft website?
You may open the Feedback Hub app and share your concerns in the Feedback Hub app.
Windows 11 will continue supporting domain.

@Reza_Ameri We are using a combination of Windows 7, 10, and 11 here, all for different purposes.  I heard about these 'features' via different tech news letters I subscribe to.

Here is the link to the Microsoft Account requirement: Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22557 | Windows Insider Blog - near the bottom of the change log is this: "Similar to Windows 11 Home edition, Windows 11 Pro edition now requires internet connectivity during the initial device setup (OOBE) only. If you choose to setup device for personal use, MSA will be required for setup as well. You can expect Microsoft Account to be required in subsequent WIP flights."

The ads in Explorer are being discovered in the wild, but I don't think MS would specifically call this out anywhere in the documentation for obvious reasons.. or at least they don't consider them ads: Microsoft wants to put ads in Windows 11 File Explorer (windowslatest.com)

@Techie_Steve  Hi 

Yes you have to talk about the problems with the development of Windows11, but you are referring to the Insider Dev version. - these are test versions and there is no certainty that they will be implemented into the stable release of Windows11 - it is worth waiting without the emotions that result from the search for sensations in articles!

This is another release in the Dev channel.

Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22572 | Windows Insider Blog

I'm an insider, I know what that means, and I know that not all testing they do makes it to production. However, lines like "You can expect Microsoft Account to be required in subsequent WIP flights" leads me to believe that they are indeed working to implement it in final releases. Especially seeing as how they already require it for Home editions, its not a big leap to assume they will go ahead with it. And ads have been part of Windows for years now, so I think we can also safely assume that where they are talking about Windows as a Service (generally), that we can expect to see more ads. Now, if I am wrong in my assumptions I will be the first to jump for joy. But the idea of waiting until final release before I complain, is in fact the exact opposite of what being an insider is for...

And don't get me wrong, I am a Microsoft fanboy. I love the MS ecosystem, I really miss my Lumia 950XL and the MS Band 2, I wish they would bring them back.

I am not trying to complain about MS, but part of the idea of this Office Hours talk on the 17th is: "If you have questions about updating devices in your organization, optimizing the way you manage Windows across onsite and remote workers, or moving to Windows 11, join our monthly Windows Office Hours sessions. We'll have engineers and product managers available to answer your questions. We can also help you troubleshoot and resolve current blockers."
My question is: are these things (ads and MSA requirement) really happening, and if so, that will be a "blocker" to us implementing a full roll out of Windows 11.

I am also not trying to get into an argument here. These are my complaints and I was looking to see if anyone else agrees. If I am alone in these complaints, then so be it. But this is what MS wants to know.

@Techie_Steve 

"These are my complaints and I was looking to see if anyone else agrees. "

Very well!

MTC is just a place for discussion between Windows fans - your post constructively presents concerns - I am also waiting for the opinions of others.

Best regards

Thank you for sharing.
You may share your concerns in the Feedback Hub app.