Error trying to turn on Bitlocker

Copper Contributor

We have a VM of Server 2019 for our file server. The data drive had Bitlocker turned on but our MSP accidentally turned it off, unencrypting the drive. Now when I try to turn BL back on I get an almost immediate CRC error. The data drive is working normally, chkdsk and SFC didn't find any errors.

When I search for this problem I only find references to people working with drives that already have Bitlocker turned on but are trying to use autounlock. None seem to be for people like me that had BL working properly until it got turned off and now can't turn it back on.

5 Replies
Would you mind post back the exact error message?
Does it happen in the VM or in the host?

@Reza_Ameri 

The error is while I'm logged in to the VM as admin: Data error (cyclic redundancy check.)

Have you tried it in the Safe Mode?
If yes, what was the result?
Meanwhile, make sure report this issue using the Feedback Hub app.
I don't think this is a Safe Mode issue. I can't see myself wasting time with the bug reporting.
We couldn't be sure until you try.
Sometimes, Safe Mode might not directly solve the issue but you might see some error message or behavior would lead you to the solution.
Sending feedback is never waste of time, it actually help engineers to get to know the problem and people with same experience would upvote for it.