Insider Preview Build 16226 for PC introduces changes to the SMB1 networking protocol

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!

Build 16226 is chock full of goodness with some very cool improvements for IT PROs!

Windows 10 and SMB1: As part of a multi-year security plan, we are removing the SMB1 networking protocol from Windows by default. This build has this change for clean installations of Windows only. We made this change to reduce the attack surface of the OS.

More details:

• All Home and Professional editions now have the SMB1 server component uninstalled by default.
  • The SMB1 client remains installed. This means you can connect to devices from Windows 10 using SMB1, but nothing can connect to Windows 10 using SMB1. We still recommend you uninstall SMB1 if you are not using it. In a later feature update of Windows 10, we may uninstall SMB1 client if we detect that you are not using it.
  • All Enterprise and Education editions have SMB1 totally uninstalled by default.
  • The removal of SMB1 means the removal of the legacy Computer Browser service. The Computer Browser depends exclusively on SMB1 and cannot function without it.

For more information on why SMB1 is being removed, see: https://aka.ms/stopusingsmb1

For more information on software and devices that require SMB1, see https://aka.ms/stillneedssmb1

Hyper-V Improvements:

Share your VMs with ease with the new VM Sharing feature! In today's build you'll find a new icon in Virtual Machine Connection that will compress your VM into a ".vmcz" file. Double click this file on your destination machine to start importing the VM - easy as that!

1165731949ff32916b6421d684806696-1024x472.png

Check out what's new to experience and socialize about in the links below:

And in the words of our fearless leader, Dona Sarkar, "Keep Hustlin'.  No downtime for Hustle-As-A-Service!"

6 Replies

Is there a tool that can be built to help the consumers/smb customers to identify if they will be impacted by this change?  Already folks have tried to disable smbv1 and found too many of their home items fail to work -- i.e. Sonos speakers, NAS units, etc.  I found that there's no one powershell command to determine what SMBvism is being used.

Hi Susan, I'm looking into this for you.
Estou com alguns erros na loja do windows!
Michelle when the update is pushed for all versions of Windows, they need to keep the Computer Browser Service in Services and have it changed to Automatic (Triggered). Otherwise your only way of connecting to other devices like storage, workstation shares for Samba in Linux, Mac OS, etc.. The other is that a reminder needs to be put in that Windows will alert users that if say a NAS is set as SMB Master Browser, Windows will error out, because by nature it always believes that it is the Master of the Domain/Workgroup.

When you uncheck SMBv1 from Windows Features, it removes the Computer Browser Service, thus causing people into thinking that reinstalling the network adapter, repair of Windows or total clean install of Windows fixes the issue when they go back in and disable SMBv1 as instructed.

It has taken me three weeks to find out the answer on a post on the Spiceworks forum, for disabling SMBv1 with the sc.exe command, to update the registry.

Home users are also getting a lot of mixed information through sites like Ten Forums .com, due to no one has actually looked and found out how to get around the whole smbv1 mess.
I left out the important part about when Computer Browser is removed. You can only go to say your NAS by using the IP as \\192.168.1.12\ for example.

Windows is alone in this Linux has a bad habit of also screwing up Samba when updates for security are pushed out, causing it to do the same thing.