SOLVED

Rolling out Windows 11 for devices on autopatch

Copper Contributor

Hello,

What is the recommended way to upgrade devices registered in Windows Autopatch to Windows 11?  I think if I add the device to the "Modern Workplace - Windows 11 Pre-Release Test Devices" it seems to upgrade them, but "pre-release" in the name is making me wonder if Autopatch isn't supporting this for broad deployment yet?  Prior to using Autopatch I was pushing out Windows 11 based on users instead of devices, so that I could target specific superusers.

Is this possible with Autopatch?  Now that Microsoft has said Windows 11 is suitable for broad deployment (Windows 11 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Docs) will it be coming soon to Autopatch?

4 Replies
Hi @gaiust - Windows 11 devices are currently supported within Windows Autopatch for testing purposes. More info here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-autopatch/operate/windows-autopatch-fu-o...
I find it odd that Microsoft is still rather opaque on how Autopatch is (or will be) positioned to support the whole Windows 11 migration journey that most organizations will have to endure over the next 24 months. Should we wait until it is fully supported by Autopatch? Fine. But when should we then aim to start?
best response confirmed by gaiust (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @jm 

Windows Autopatch fully supports the roll-out and continued updates of Windows 11 using the Autopatch Feature update process. The previous Windows 11 pre-release test group method was implemented before the introduction of Autopatch groups to allow you to upgrade targeted devices. 

Please take a look at Windows feature updates overview - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Learn where you can review guidance on the process and some common scenarios including a Windows 11 example. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Richard 

Hats off to the team working on this. When I made the decision to go with Autopatch I was a bit hesitant, but now very glad I chose this route as it now has a great balance between customisation and ease of use.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by gaiust (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @jm 

Windows Autopatch fully supports the roll-out and continued updates of Windows 11 using the Autopatch Feature update process. The previous Windows 11 pre-release test group method was implemented before the introduction of Autopatch groups to allow you to upgrade targeted devices. 

Please take a look at Windows feature updates overview - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Learn where you can review guidance on the process and some common scenarios including a Windows 11 example. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Richard 

View solution in original post