Windows Admin Center changes certificate after install

Copper Contributor

I have installed Windows Admin Center on a new Windows Server 2022 in Azure (with AAD) and using my own signed certificate.  I get it up and running and at some point, after the install, the certificate is changed without my intervention.  It begins to use a certificate from arc.waconazure.com which fails due to it missing the Subject Alternate Name.  Either way I have been running into this constantly and i eventually have to run a PowerShell script that changes the certificate thumbnail back.  It happens frequently.  What can I do to ensure that the certificate thumbnail never changes?

8 Replies
Hi there, this isn't usually the case on upgrade to 2311. At least not with AD CS issued certs.

There's WAC integrated in Azure how about using this as an alternative?

Check Azure Arc pane.
I've seen the same issue. I have tried running WAC from different Windows Servers (2016 and 2022) in the same domain and it keeps happening. I have tried versions 2211, 2306, and now 2311.
if you can repro it, your best shot is using Azure Support to report it. Thank you for your time in advance.
Thank you. I will try that. I opened a support ticket from the M365 Admin portal and they were of no use and closed my ticket. I had to explain to the tech what Windows Admin Center was
While waiting for support, I tried again. The certificate that keeps overwriting my certificate is one for a resource on waconaure.com.

Hi guys,
any solution to this one?
Im facing the same error for a couple of days now.
I'v freshly installed WAC 2311 and used a CA-certificate during install.
After a couple on minutes, while configuring WAC, the cert was changed to a azure certificate issued by "Microsoft Azure RSA TLS Issuing CA 07".
Happened a couple of times now - very annoying...

@Kai-Uwe_Dzialas unfortunately no resolution. I’ve gotten the runaround from Microsoft Support so far.  My latest attempt is with Azure Support.  Ive had two working sessions with them demonstrating the problem and for 3 weeks all I’ve been told is they are looking at it.  I can repeat the issue every time after either running a repair on existing installation or by removing and reinstalling. 

I am sorry to hear what happened David. M365 in fact has no straws to pull in Windows Admin Center. It is a product supported by Azure Support.