This is the biggest problem in my life dealing with disturbing auto update from Microsoft

Copper Contributor
You need to be in charge of this Microsoft as I never wanted to have my windows updated and always turn the auto update off but it always seemed to muscle itself in on my PC every time I put my pc to sleep.

I left about 100 tabs open and active for serveral months because all those things are my workS that need to be done.
I never shutdown my PC for months, only thing I did is put it to SLEEP.
Once the lastest update started to act up during the sleep of my pc and when my PC restarted

EVERY SINGLE TABS HAD COMPLETELY GONE!!

They are not automatically restored as usual as the very past previous updates...

I seriously need help..
All the tabs forcibly closed mean a lot to my life.

Dont cause me to be made redundant Microsoft
25 Replies

@SUNEATER I'm sorry to have to point this out, man, because I do feel for your situation.  

However, if your job depends on you maintaining 100+ tabs open in your browser, and a PC restart will get you fired, you either need a new job or you are doing something severely wrong.  

A couple of pointers that may or may not help:

* bookmarks.  Use them.

* a password vault.  Find one you like and put it in play.

* monitoring software (like PRTG, Solarwinds, Nagios, etc.).  Get one and put it to use.

I'm not going to ask "why do you need X tabs open 24/7", because it doesn't matter what the answer is.  The design behind the answer is wrong.  Whether it's something you did or something someone else is up to, it's wrong.  

And to try to finger-point at MS because a critical security update required a re-start is wrong.  

The only situation where it might even be remotely sane to prevent updates in the first place is when you have a unique configuration and unique software on the PC that demands the system remain unmodified from its current state (think: specialized lab equipment used to run a drug production line that cannot be modified without regulatory-required validation).

If your system is exposed (and with a browser open to 100+ tabs, I assume it is exposed), regular updates are a best-practice answer.  

If you value your tabs so highly, then use a browser which can open a list of tabs at startup and maintain that list.  Then when you start your browser, it will re-open those tabs.  

Really.  Re-think your strategy here.  Being dependent on a browser open with 100+ tabs?  Not a winning solution.  New job or new plan of execution is needed.  

Regardless of whether the tonnage-of-tabs was a bad idea, the sheer arrogance of ANY operating system that decides it can reboot your system just because it feels like it, or has such a bad case of ADHD that it can't stay in the background where it belongs is not to be tolerated.
You won't catch me defending the choice to reboot a machine without asking the user first. I never programmed mine to do that, before they ever took that code ).

But that aside, you can't defend someone's choice to make their job mission-critical based on maintaining a hundred tabs open on a browser. Regardless of Windows' behavior, one little power hiccup and the guy gets fired. That's irresponsible both to himself and to whatever particular responsibility is in the company.

@SUNEATER sorry for your lost... but Control + Shift + T reopen those tabs

ps: you can disable auto restart from settings or group policy. 

ps2: you can bookmark those tabs

ps3: you can put those tabs to open with browser

• Spoiler
    Spoiler

I will go through all your statements of each paragraph at once

1. You MUST be aware of the fact that we all human living in the same world but different countries usually have different kind of life circumstances, social managements, policy etc.. in their company, family, or any other aspect of life. your thought is just related to the common stage of your life that you think it's supposed to be like this or that.
    so all the tabs that were reluctantly closed by the funtionality of the system created by one of the world's most powerful and influancial organization must have crucial connections to my company for sure.
    However, despite tge fact that i already turned the auto-update off it still was stubborn and act like a know-it-all system

What is the point for having the auto update turn off option then? If Microsoft can do anything any time against my PC?

Do not ask why i dont do this, do that blabla
    I have the right to do anything wity my own PC at my convenience related to my preference

I used Google Chrome which always restore every previously closed websites when it closed abnormally such as force restart or outage (this is what i already mentioned in the main post)

And i have the preogative to finger-point at anything i pay my money for but only when im given unpleasant experience from it
    I give good feedback when it does well
    I give bad feedback when it does NOT

If you are broad-minded enough you may have seen countless number of the same threads as mine posted across the social media and a lot of them are not as kind as me to vent their load in a calm feeling or polite manner like this
    They even tell that this is one of the most commonly ongoing issue that has not been fixed yet even in this year

Only one reason that can lead me to the point of being made redundant is the fact that they may percieve me as an employee who cant take care of assigned tasks and anything can happen to us human
  • There are several reasons that can be used as a sound reason to fire me. You think is weird to get fired like this because your brain's response naturally refered to only my mentioned words in the post, i only mentioned that i may be made reduntant losing my ongoing tasks so you judge the situation based on that but on the other hand it is nearly impossible to fire an employee due to this reason but if you look back to the real life and consider all possible external factors in the society, losing all these tasks is even more than enough to be used as a reason to make someone redundant. Why that? it is because my country now has to deal with an inconsistant increase in number of Covid case and a lot of company are trying hard to expose a big failure of some employee in order to cut loss by firing them. we call it fault-finding process. They feel bad to fire peoole for no reason so everyone must stay sharp and make fualtless

SO do i have to mess around with COVID topic in Microsoft related website?

Thanks for useful reply but sadly, i would like to tell you that it silently updated on its own while my PC sleep

Hello
Of course, this is not a solution, but if you want to be sure that there will be no automatic - restart, just pause the updates for 7 days if you want, you can stop the update for up to 35 days, but then the update must take place.

Check in the optional (advanced) update settings if you have the switch turned on (run as soon as possible to install the update) - disable it! If you disable this update should wait until the administrator installs it.
I think that's really going to be the solution for you.
Best regards
Look, I get it that sometimes everything feels like it happens at once. But what you describe is something that could just as easily have been fielded here ten years ago.

MS Windows Update has had an annoying habit of rebooting the system without warning for over a decade. It also has a sneaky habit of updating when you least expect it.

But there are solutions for that. Just as there are solutions for your browser-window problem. Both I and at least one other poster have given you a couple of examples of what to do so you don't lose your umpteen tabs, even if they get closed.

The update problem, though, you simply can't claim to be surprised by that. I get that it pisses you off. It pisses me off too, sometimes. But let's get real here - it will happen. Critical and security updates often require a reboot, and if a system belonging to an admin gets contaminated because it didn't get the update, that arrow points right back at the custodian of the system.

I'm not claiming you should get fired here. Please don't make that assumption. I am saying that if there's no other way to succeed, you need to start shopping for another job right away. Because what you've posed as a situation can only end with the system auto-restarting some day and you losing all your tabs, and you've said yourself that means you'd get fired. Don't let that happen. Get out and get a different job before it happens. Just the toxic environment you describe is enough, get out of there and go find a job for a company that gives a shit about you. Hell, send me your CV and I'll give it to HR at Accenture, maybe we've got a spot that'd fit you.

But until you do get free from there, do the browser thing with "open tabs on startup" and keep the passwords in a password vault so you'll know what to feed to the tabs when they ask without spending unnecessary time searching. And another option for the re-start bit might be to set up an update server for your active directory domain. Have it pull updates to feed to the organization, and require your approval before they get applied. Then you can know specifically when updates are coming and you can prep for them.
Well, there IS another way to avoid MSWin's inconvenient reboots; one word, starts with "L" and ends with "x" <g>

"something that could have been field here ren years ago"
● Yes, that is why i'm emphasizing this simple problem that should never happen. What im doing is keep the long-lasting complain in exsistence and unforgettable as a reminder of what they should have done it long time ago but untill now it hasnt been fixed yet. If someone were to work in programming field or IT then they must acknowledge how easy it is to fix this in comparision to any other complex software coding. But why they havent done it? Any good reason? Is it a big deal?
I have never had problem with Windows7 i always like and give good feedback and also a real fan of it until it stopped supporting the windows so i had to move on to Windows10

"
But there are solutions for that. Just as there are solutions for your browser-window problem. Both I and at least one other poster have given you a couple of examples of what to do so you don't lose your umpteen tabs, even if they get closed."
● yes, there are solution for that and i already had nipped every single possible unexpected issues in the bud by turning off auto-update and auto-reboot too and also My chrome browsing restoring setting on startup was alwasy set to ON position. I even added about 50-60 of my tabs into bookmark i couldnt add all of them into it due to the possibility of confusion. I do what i think is most suitable
● So many weird cultures in my country were esthablished in people thought due to the feeling of getting used to something or the feeling of "let it slide" or live with it until it has completely become part of their life. Until it has become something common and acceptable but they cant deny the fact that this is a PROBLEM and when it comes to the word " problem" it is usually paired with the word "improve" "fix"
That mean this is something people will never look over and it happens if you think having this kidda problem is normal and it happens then people like me will show up again and again cause it will happen in response to what have been happening.

All these posts wouldnt have happened if i had never done anything in advance to inhibit the possible future issues from interjecting.
I always use Chrome and it always promtp up restore-all-tabs options every time my PC faced terrible reboots from auto-updates but this time i can notice that the update had made some significant change to the brower too it looks different from before maybe it is upgrapded to a complete new form

Just as i said, it is not my fault because the system didnt do as i ordered it to do so we have the right to blame

There is going to be a lisf of 72 of employee who must be laid off announced by the end of this year, my job is directly associated with tourism industry which gets direct impacts from the Covid. 

Just hoping that my name wont be included in the list.

So be it

"... if you think having this kidda problem is normal ..."

That's what it is. Normal. Windows does that. It's a well-known characteristic of Windows, it has updates online, and on occasion it reboots during the installation. When something does something regularly, and you expect that, that's the definition of normal.

I didn't really go through the rest of your rant here. It all seemed to revolve around "why" you need to do what you do. Culture is irrelevant here. What country you're in is irrelevant to this problem. I will repeat what I said first:

"I'm not going to ask "why do you need X tabs open 24/7", because it doesn't matter what the answer is. The design behind the answer is wrong. Whether it's something you did or something someone else is up to, it's wrong."

The problem isn't Windows.

The problem is inventing a process that relies on a PC being on 24x7x365 without fail, in full knowledge that this OS will reboot itself when its updates are turned on and connected to the internet, and setting up the consequence of fail to be screwing over an employee.

Even if you were running a mythical perfect OS that never reboots, you are still setting it up to fail if/when you have a power outage that exceeds the length of time your UPS can run it and its network infrastructure. Or if a component on the mainboard overheats and trips the power supply's circuit breaker.

Whether that was you that invented it, or someone before you, the "I must have umpteen browser windows open all the time" is the real problem here. You can howl about windows all you want, but that's not going to fix your problem, that's just going to paint you in a poor light. Fixing your process is the only thing that will fix your problem.

Thus, the administrator in the organization should foresee the solution and test it so that employees have the security of data synchronization and their copies.
certainly the employee should not take care of introducing the solution - it is the IT team that in my opinion is responsible
  • "That's what it is. Normal. Windows does that. It's a well-known characteristic of Windows, it has updates online, and on occasion it reboots during the installation. When something does something regularly, and you expect that, that's the definition of normal. "
    ● As i said, i have never had this disturbing problem on Windows 7 and on the very previous stage of windows 10 so this is not something that normally happen. if it occurs despite its rare possibility of occurance
    It means there must be something wrong with the operating system management if it is something normal, countless number of people would not have posted countless number of the same kind of problem. This is normal logic that even a low-educated person can understand. If a company make a lot of their customer feel agitated with the one thing in common and that is the SAME problem so it cant be considered NORMAL
    Otherwise, that company and those boot-lickers wont admit or just wanna rationalize and fool themselve but the reality is obvious,
    noticable anger of the users.
    ------------------------------------
    "Culture is irrelevant here. What country you're in is irrelevant to this problem. I will repeat what I said first:"
    ● no problem I'm sure that people swinging by this thread will not be braindead enough to not understand that this is the way i make comparision and it is some sort of lingustic metaphor i used to make the context easy to understand
    "I'm not going to ask "why do you need X tabs open 24/7", because it doesn't matter what the answer is. The design behind the answer is wrong. Whether it's something you did or something someone else is up to, it's wrong."
    ● people have different kind of preference and behavior for their web browsing activity i faced auto-updates serveral times and it had no problem. This is the first-time problem over the past few months so it can NOT use the word NORMAL to clarify the context
    I opend all that because that was what suited my working style. and sure i have reasons for doing that. Everyone has their own reasons
    "Even if you were running a mythical perfect OS that never reboots, you are still setting it up to fail if/when you have a power outage that exceeds the length of time your UPS can run it and its network infrastructure. Or if a component on the mainboard overheats and trips the power supply's circuit breaker."
    ● my problem is only why the settings of the windows doesnt obey its rightful owner this is simple common question that is left unanswered by one of the world's most powerful IT related organization , the company that can't even maintain their highest standard.
    Acorrding to my general rule of thumb and tangible comments on the internet, When some funtion gets better, another one will be exposed to the possibility of having problems or vulneribility.

And it doesnt matter what kidda problem cause my PC to reboot, the problem is why the auto-tabs restoring system made its absence in the lastest update. The point of the post is easy and no excuse from its sycophant shall prevail over the truth that happen to many people worldwide
    ----------------------------------                       
    "I must have umpteen browser windows open all the time" is the real problem here. You can howl about windows all you want, but that's not going to fix your problem, that's just going to paint you in a poor light. Fixing your process is the only thing that will fix your problem."
    ● if you think the ways the users use their computer is the problem then what is used in this context to identify the literal definition of the fact that this is the root cause of the problem.
    Someone in the past that i came acorss on the social media love coming up with sick and unsound reasonings. I can do the same too i would have said something like. If being able to open multiple tabs turns out to be the fault of the users then why the web broswer allow us to do it? Why it has the option to open multiple tabs ?
    Why it doesnt have the tabs limit feature?
    --------------------------------------                
    "that's not going to fix your problem, that's just going to paint you in a poor light. Fixing your process is the only thing that will fix your problem."
    ● my problem already been fixed already during my absence from this thread from 14 Oct to 18 Oct the date that i first replied to your answer. what took me 4 days before i had time to check out my thread is because i was trying to fix this with the help of some skillfull programmers from Reddit. It is lucky of me having a friend who is a game developer who never pretends to act smart but his knowlege about logfile and coding is reliable.                                      And i think you are the only one here that is being shown in a poor light. take your precious time and glance through all the comments here even on the internet beside from this too you started to not understand why i can be made redundant and made your own judgement thinking if you are made redundant just because blah blahh ... but you forgot to think of external factors involved. People can even be fired for no reason too.  dont get surprised by whatever is uncommon in your life. It may be common in other people' life
Let me ask u something please
Do u mean "customers by the word employee?"
It is a bit ambiguous since IT team can be defined as employee as well
Exactly that ^^. As I said, whether he created the situation or it was handed to him, the situation at hand is the source of the problem. At this stage, complaining about Windows rebooting after an update is like complaining about the sun shining.

No doubt why you couldnt come up with an advanced solution
Lol you finally displayed your kid-like attidude after packs of aimless replies. thinking the situation at hand is the source of the problem can even make the whole world laugh at you with judgemental eye.
I cant even understand why you dare say this. A split seconed later after spotting the funniest logic ever, my hand pressed the button to snap a screenshot on its own.
I dont know why but please do not edit your previous post. Leave it untouched and let the visitors counterbalance the weight between our logics.

You didnt even read every single letter of my texts and come up with random judge about me

I'm focusing on why the system wont obey my order.

If i were to have to complain about windows updates there must have been hundreds of threads posted by me since Windows 7 ^^ you see now?? How weird your logic is

Someone tends to be the one who start using satirical manner in their speech first and wind up a loser in the end due to lack of resonable sounding.

thinking the situation at hand is the source of the problem is like thinking a fire right now set on my house is happening on its own. The source is the fire itself lol
Then two days later, The police rounded up two arsoners ^^

Oh one thing about the sunshrine, there is no option in the sun to turn the sunrise off or on. Get real!!

No one is brave enough to own the windows SUN and program it to not shine in the morning

Please refrain from silliness.

"I'm focusing on why the system wont obey my order."

Which has been explained to you multiple times. The order is not one the system will accept.

You are arguing with the moon for orbiting the earth. Unless you're in a position to chat up the MS Platform Team and convince them to disable reboots during critical or security updates, you are just barking at the sky.

And to clarify for you, none of this really has to do with you. It has to do with the problem you have been ranting about in your...how did you put it? "packs of aimless replies". Seriously dude, check your attitude. People are trying to help you here.

And the problem is your chosen solution, insisting that somehow what you are doing is "right" and that it is Windows Update at fault for why such a broken idea doesn't work.

To use your metaphor, you moved into a house made of drafty balsa wood, with one powerline, you have it rigged to thirty or forty power strips, and you are trying to claim it was arsonists who burned the place down.

Go find a modern monitoring system as I mentioned in my first post. PRTG, Nagios, whatever. Put it on a server with power protection and regular backups. Rig up some tests to roll 24/7 and have it notify you when tests start to brown-out.

And stop trying to blame others for the problems exhibited by what is a totally amateurish "solution". Really man, defending the idea that it's okay to just leave a hundred browser tabs open 24/7 on a connected machine...and expect that to work forever...that's not a smart path to take. And if you can't see that, then maybe the company is better off without you.