Windows 10 1803 - Custom Login/Lock Screen Image Is Not Applied Until a User Logs In

Copper Contributor

Hi Microsoft, please Help us with the bugged "Force a specific default lock screen and logon image" GPO which don´t work anymore correct since 1803.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/1276792

More information with around 30 other Admins who reported this bug also:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1664b0ab-f1d8-4e60-8337-13f079a33752/windows-10-18...

Thank you!

15 Replies

Addresses an issue in which the correct lock screen image won't show when all of the following are true:

• GPO policy “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Force a specific default lock screen and logon image” is enabled.
  • GPO policy "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Prevent changing lock screen and logon image" is enabled
  • Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\DisableLogonBackgroundImage is set to 1. 
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338817

Not 1803, but 1709.  {yes I know that won't help but just spotted that regardless}

Susan, this fix has already been confirmed as unrelated to the issue reported in this thread. If you tech the TechNet discussion linked here, you can see that we have already tested this and found it to have no impact. In addition, the issue that is reported here is the application of customization to the lock/login image before any user logs in, and does not persist thereafter.

Ergo why I said it didn't help as it's 1709.  I just found it interesting that fixes were being slid into 1709 and not 1803.

Microsoft? Are you here?

Help us please, thanks

Still an issue even after the 9/26 patches for 1803.

What's the deal?

You have both GPO's and the DisableLogon registry key and your lock screen works as expected?

• GPO “Force a specific default lock screen and logon image”
  • GPO “Prevent changing lock screen and logon image”
  • Registry entry DisableLogonBackgroundImage to 1

We are seeing no customized lock screen if the DisableLogon registry key is set to 1 until after a user logs on. If we remove that registry key or set it to 0, the lock screen wallpaper works as expected but the logon screen shows the lock screen wallpaper behind the text input boxes rather than a standard solid background.

Microsoft!!!!!! 

We have also the same problem 1903 (449).

This issue STILL EXISTS and it is REALLY A LOT WORSE EVEN in v1909, when will this most basic of issues be fixed?  No excuse for something like this to be broken, NONE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Scott_Milella  I'm still experiancing the issue did you find a workaround? v1909 all the newest updates/patches installed.

@Nick_at_interco 

Same issue, no workable workaround that I've found.

I've given up and just told my company that it's a feature so that if the computer is stolen and no one is logged in, our custom wallpaper with the company logo wouldn't give it away.

Funny part is that they believe me when the asset tag clearly has the company name on it. M$ needs to get this fixed, but I'm afraid it's fallen off their radar.

I think this setting only applies to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs.
If you are using Win 10 Pro you can't check the logon image.
Microsoft wants you to pay for it to change to a corporate logon image....

@MikeYam

We are using enterprise. I can also confirm this is still an issue up to 1909. We haven't tested anything newer as of yet. 

Also experiencing this on Windows 10 Pro 1909 (Build 18363.2212)
Regkeys & GPO are in place, image file exists in specified (workstation-local location)
Just started impacting - up until today the same (unchanged) GPO was successfully applying
I can confirm this. It only works with a Enterprise license. And frankly, what a dumb decision was this... Like, I will come to the manager now and say, you want to have custom Wallpaper on the Lockscreen, pay Microsoft to give you that with a Enterprise license. Jesus, I can't comprehend how dumb are people who defendes Microsoft business practice. Windows and Microsoft *have* to vanish from the face of the Earth.