SOLVED

Universal Print Cannot Find UP Printers When Printing From Microsoft 365 --- Sort of

Copper Contributor

My apologies for the long scenario explanation.

We configured a UP compatible printer for UP per the "Universal Print Guided Simulation" example (https://regale.cloud/Microsoft/viewer/1265/universal-print/index.html#/0/0) we obtained from the print.microsoft.com website. We followed the guided simulation (including the Endpoint Manager configuration (including everything in section 3) to configure UP and the printer. 

Testing was perfect. I was able to print from OneDrive on the Web to the remote printer. However, I tested with an user account with the 'Global Admin' role.

As soon as I tested printing from OneDrive on the Web with a user that is not a 'Global Admin', the following screen is displayed

jbush1120_0-1698256760750.png

Has anyone experienced this?

7 Replies
I am also experiencing this. Sometimes the users can see the printers but most of the times they can't. Sometimes they can see printers from one device but not from another.

Open Excel online and print to one of the UP printers that show up there. This was a recommendation from Microsoft support, and it did work to make the error above go away.  The printers now are searchable in OneDrive for the user account where I printed from Excel online first. I was also told this bug should be fixed in approximately 30 days.  So... yea... for now... users just have to jiggle it a little to make it work.  :|  

Note that as of some number of weeks ago, "seeing" the printers in OneDrive is no longer the default. The printer selection box is now also a search box. This is especially not obvious if you had printed from OneDrive before the change. You must know part of the name of a printer and search for it to select it. Since we don't have all that many printers, I actually renamed all of our queues and appended " Printer" to the end so printers can be found by just typing "Pri" in the new dropdown/printer search field.
Last week I couldn't see printers from Excel Online but today I can. However from OneDrive, I still don't have the search box, it gives me the error like in the screenshot. Also I find it strange that it's possible to print to Universal Print from Excel Online but not from Word Online.
best response confirmed by jbush1120 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

jbush1120 here with an update.

First: I didn't explain when that error screen was displayed. After logging into office.com and navigating to OneDrive, I would select my file (under the 'My Files' icon) and select 'Print' from the files context menu. That's when Office.com displayed the error message.

I got it to work as expected. Here are the steps I stumbled up:

I obtained a Windows 11 PC and joined it to my test Azure AD. 

Next, I logged into that PC with my non-Global Admin test account

To my surprise, I was able to install the UP printer on that system

After logging out of that PC, I returned to my 'regular' work laptop, opened a browser, and logged into Office.com with the same non-Global Admin account. And now, the UP printer is displayed as an option to print (as expected). I successfully printed to the UP printer.

Did you actually print something to Excel online? That's what fixed the error on one account. Today on a student account I saw they had the error above, but then there were no printers available in Excel so I can't even try the silly "Print from Excel online" fix.
Yes.. printing from Excel online first is very strange to me. I mean--seriously why? Did some huge accounting firm make that part of their Google apps switch requirement or something? I also don't like that couldn't find printing from Word Online on any Universal Print feature roadmap.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jbush1120 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

jbush1120 here with an update.

First: I didn't explain when that error screen was displayed. After logging into office.com and navigating to OneDrive, I would select my file (under the 'My Files' icon) and select 'Print' from the files context menu. That's when Office.com displayed the error message.

I got it to work as expected. Here are the steps I stumbled up:

I obtained a Windows 11 PC and joined it to my test Azure AD. 

Next, I logged into that PC with my non-Global Admin test account

To my surprise, I was able to install the UP printer on that system

After logging out of that PC, I returned to my 'regular' work laptop, opened a browser, and logged into Office.com with the same non-Global Admin account. And now, the UP printer is displayed as an option to print (as expected). I successfully printed to the UP printer.

View solution in original post