Replacing printers.csv with a newer/updated printers.csv via Intune

Copper Contributor

Hello, I'm at a bit of a loss with this one - I'm pushing out printers via the Universal Print Intune tool based off of the info on this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/universal-print/fundamentals/universal-print-intune-tool

It works fine right off the bat, but I can't seem to find any info on how to replace that printers.csv file when a new printer is added or info is changed. I've tried adding it by replacing the .intunewin with the new printers.csv in it per Microsoft support recommendation and it never seems to update the file locally. Am I missing something? I'm wondering if I should just replace the old CSV via a script but figured I'd check in here first before going that route. Thanks ahead of time for any insight!

8 Replies
Also interested in this, it seems a bit clumsy around how this is pushed out to devices. I haven't tried to use this yet but immediately had the same thoughts, how are updates made.

@mistermike The sample InstallPolicy.cmd should be overwriting the existing file, provided the old package has been disabled. If both packages are still being deployed, then the last one there will win. The other thing to check is that you are using the same designation for User/Device for the target of the package, as the printer.csv file is copied to different locations. However, both versions will be merged and the printers from both will be installed. Lastly, if you set the old package to uninstall, it should remove the old printers.csv file, and then the new package should install the new printers.csv. If you uninstall, does the file get deleted, and if you then wait a few minutes and push out the new package, does the new file get installed? That will confirm that both packages are working as expected, and something else is going on, such as being blocked from overwriting the package for some reason. 

Phil

One more thing is whether a new client that hasn't gotten a printers.csv file is getting the new printers.csv file. If it is, then the issue may be that you are trying to update the existing package which may not be re-deployed to clients that already have it, hence the need to use a new package with the new printers.csv file.

@mistermike 

What I've been doing was just writing a script to delete the printer.csv file.

The policy to deploy the .intunewin will detect the file isn't there anymore and push the printer.csv down again. Though you have to update the .intunewin file with updated .csv files which is a constant pain if you add new printers.

Removing old decommissioned UP printers is also not easy.

@Mailmansgotmail Hey, just wondering if you were using some logic in your script do detect if the printers are installed before deleting the printers.csv file. 

I am struggling with the same problem and looking at deleting the file as well, but want to make sure I am not deleting it before its used by the Universal Print service to install the printers.

I have 45 schools on my hands, so I'm not interested in creating new packages for every school when they get a new printer as it would be a colossal mess.   I just want 1 package per school, and just update it when needed....odd that Microsoft didn't use configuration profiles instead of cobbling together .csv files...easy to deploy and easy to update.

Thanks

Jeff

@mistermike I know this is a year later but just started instituting Universal Print.  So came up with a solution of just updating the intunewin file with the updated printers.csv file containing the new shared printers.  When updating the app I changed the detection method to "Date Modified", Operator to "Greater than or equal to" and Value to the date I modified the printers.csv file with the new files.  This worked for me and hopefully this will help the next user or possibly you if you are still needing a solution.  Good luck in your endeavors!  

I ended up creating a scheduled task on the workstations that deletes the printers.csv every  afternoon just before school ends. My detection rules looks for printers.csv, which forces it to reinstall it each day. So if I have an updated printers.csv they get it the following day.

I like the Date Modified idea though, so I may tinker with that myself.

Please refer to Universal Print settings available in Microsoft Endpoint Manager - Microsoft Tech Community for announcement on native Intune/ Microsoft Endpoint Manager (MEM) solution.

This solution is currently available for Windows 11 devices only. It will soon be available for Windows 10 too. Check here for latest updates - Microsoft 365 Roadmap | Microsoft 365.