macOS Public Preview - Update #1

Microsoft
Thanks to all of you who have tried Universal Print's macOS support, which is now in Public Preview! If you haven't tried it out yet, it's easy to get started :)

Hundreds of customers have started using it and are sharing awesome feedback about how it's helping unify printing for all users on all their devices.

Additionally, all your great feedback so far has been helping us chart a path forward. I want to share some common issues we've identified, and our short-term bug fix & feature roadmap:

Known Issues
  • Installing the new Universal Print Mac App could fail if the user selects an incompatible directory during setup (Issue #3 and Issue #4)
  • Some printers don't work properly with the Public Preview. If you're having issues, check the list to see if one of your printers is affected.
  • Users need to be system administrators, by default, to install printers. We're working on recommendations for tailoring this behavior to your needs.
  • If you're encountering other issues, try the troubleshooting steps we recently published, which should help with the most common issues we've been seeing. If those don't work, please reach out to support.
Roadmap
  • Fixes are in progress for Issues #2, #3, and #4. I'll provide another update in a week or two about our progress here.
  • Many of you want to deploy specific printers to Macs using MDM. We're looking into possible solutions here. Please continue sharing your ideas and feedback while we work on this feature!
  • We're completing the required certification steps and stabilizing the feature for general availability. We're on track for a June GA date.
  • iOS support, in addition to macOS, is a very common feature request. We're not ready to announce support for this, but we're actively looking into it. Please keep adding your votes to the related feature request!

Thanks!
Braeden & the Universal Print Team
4 Replies

@Braeden_Petruk_MSFT 

First of thanks for releasing this preview feature. It has been urgently needed at my org. I did a test deployment last night through jamf to my mac. The application installed successfully but when I click the sign in button nothing happens. I am a full admin, the device is supervise managed by jamf, and it is intune enrolled for compliance (jamf/intune integration). 

I have tried reinstalling the app and clearing settings with "defaults delete com.microsoft.universalprintmac". No change. 

I don't see anything relevant in ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.universalprintmac/Library/Caches/log.txt 

When I monitor logs at ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.universalprintmac/Library/Caches/log.txt with console, after I hit the sign in button in universal print I see the following: 

error 13:13:41.217991-0500 cfprefsd Couldn't open parent path due to [2: No such file or directory]
error 13:13:41.218892-0500 Universal Print cannot open file at line 49295 of [1b37c146ee]
error 13:13:41.218911-0500 Universal Print os_unix.c:49295: (2) open(/private/var/db/DetachedSignatures) - No such file or directory
error 13:13:41.219069-0500 Universal Print API call with invalid database connection pointer
error 13:13:41.219089-0500 Universal Print misuse at line 186073 of [1b37c146ee]
error 13:13:41.220005-0500 Universal Print API call with invalid database connection pointer
error 13:13:41.220226-0500 Universal Print misuse at line 186073 of [1b37c146ee]
fault 13:13:41.220372-0500 Universal Print __delegate_identifier__:Performance Diagnostics__:::____message__:This method should not be called on the main thread as it may lead to UI unresponsiveness.
fault 13:13:41.221795-0500 Universal Print __delegate_identifier__:Performance Diagnostics__:::____message__:This method should not be called on the main thread as it may lead to UI unresponsiveness.
fault 13:13:41.224905-0500 Universal Print __delegate_identifier__:Performance Diagnostics__:::____message__:This method should not be called on the main thread as it may lead to UI unresponsiveness.
fault 13:13:41.225814-0500 Universal Print __delegate_identifier__:Performance Diagnostics__:::____message__:This method should not be called on the main thread as it may lead to UI unresponsiveness.
error 13:13:41.226099-0500 SystemUIServer Failed to refresh menu extra items. Error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"
error 13:13:41.234086-0500 Universal Print API call with invalid database connection pointer
error 13:13:41.235130-0500 Universal Print misuse at line 186073 of [1b37c146ee]

Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Hello @Braeden_Petruk_MSFT.

I have a question regarding Universal Print application for macOS.

Can you explain more how the fields works in app itself.

We can see many \<null>\ values in Location field, and only Floor Number value is displayed but we are not sure about the order of fields.

Neno_Mark_0-1712650630550.png

How this Location field in Universal Print app is matching Properties of a printer in Azure ?

Neno_Mark_1-1712650707135.png

Are there any plans to make Universal Print app features more user friendly for macOS?

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers.

Hello @Neno_Mark,

On a Windows client the location is as follows: Country\Organization\Site\Building\Floor\Room
I would assume it is the same on Mac although I have not had a chance to test it.

An easy way to test this is just to fill out the properties in Azure with the same name as the property so see how it acts on the client, i.e. set Country = Country etc.

That being said, if a value has not been set in Azure it should not be shown at all on the client instead of \<null> in my opinion and should be corrected in the code.

Hello,

thank you for the suggestion but on macOS Universal Print app the fields are still displaying null values.
We did populate Organization, Subdivision, Site, Subunit, Building, Floor number, Floor Description, Room number and Room Description.
In app it shows only Building, Floor Number and partially room number (there was no space left to show whole room number).

Still expecting some feedback from @Braeden_Petruk_MSFT on this topic.

Thanks