SOLVED

Canon Universal Print App in AAD

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We bought a Canon i sensys mf752cdw printer and want to use universal print.

We took part in the universal print preview.

When we use our AAD app id to register the printer, it is registered, but there is no communication, last contact is empty.

Is this due to the universal app preview app in our tenant? How do we get the app updated to the release version?

How to install the app in another tenant? There is no manual from Canon or Microsoft how to do that.

Thanks.

10 Replies

@Christian-busitec ,  

Looking at your description, it might be a problem of the universal print preview program rather than the printer.

@Saurabh_Bansal ,
it would be great if you would provide some advice. 

If it is a printer problem, please contact a dealer or Canon support at your local residence. The following link might be helpful:

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/business/contact-support/ 

Canon would love to help you solve the problem. 

@Christian-busitec - You mention that you had Universal Print preview. Preview would have expired most likely by now. If you want to continue using Universal Print, the tenant and the admin registering the printer needs to have one of the valid Universal Print licenses - check https://aka.ms/UPLicense.

If you can confirm that admin has a valid Universal Print license and still having issues, then I recommend the path suggested by Canon team as registration app on the printer is owned by them and they will have to start the investigation.

Thanks

Saurabh

@Saurabh_Bansal @Canon_UP_Team 
Our admin users are our normal users with PIM and are fully licensed. It seems that noboody can answer these questions:

1. How to create the Universal Print App for Canon Printers in a MS365 tenant?
  2. Do we need this app or is Canon hosting it, like Lexmark (you do not have to add an app ID on a Lexmark device). If Canon is hosting it, what is the app id you must enter on the printer?

We contacted the Canon Support, but they do not know it either.

Are we the first company in the world trying to use universal print with a Canon printer?
To rule out problems with our tenant, I already tried other tenants, same problem.

@Christian-busitec - its really upto Canon to answer this question. Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure on what Canon's latest integration model is :)

Typically, apps are registered by OEMs and they use that app for Universal Print integration on their printers. When you register the "first" printer from that OEM, it will ask for the corresponding app to be approved in the tenant - this will be done by your global admin. Subsequently, print admins/technicians can register more printers from the same OEM without involving global admin. I believe this is the workflow for Lexmark printers.

In some cases, we have noticed that some OEMs do not want to provide their own app. Instead they ask customers to create the app and configure it on each printer. This is non-trivial and can be very hard to put the app details on each device.

I will let @Canon_UP_Team confirm the integration model that Canon printers have. If possible, their may be a help/guide for the same. This is the best I could find - Preparations for Using Universal Print - Canon - C1333iF / C1333i - User's Guide (Product Manual)

@Christian-busitec 

As @Saurabh_Bansal mentioned the above, the app is already registered by Canon.
You just need to follow the following instruction:
https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-7183-zz-SSM-750-enUV/contents/devu-prt-prep-univprt.html#04018_h1_01

@Canon_UP_Team 

The manual says:

Change Application ID and the URL of Azure Active Directory according to usage environment

What do I enter then?

@Christian-busitec 

In most cases, you do not need to change it.

@Canon_UP_Team 

Well, in our case the Application ID is mandatory.

So let me ask again, what must I enter here? What is the application ID of the Canon Universal Print Application?

Am I the first Canon user in the world trying to use Universal Print?

Christianbusitec_0-1694162384688.png

best response confirmed by Saurabh_Bansal (Microsoft)
Solution

@Christian-busitec    Thank you so much for providing the screen shot. Now we understand what is going on. Please enter the following value: 

f9fc375c-c7ba-4e5c-b213-23affd792cc1

@Canon_UP_Team 

The ID worked.

However, the first URL provided by the firmware is wrong. it should be .com and not .de.

To be frank, the current Universal Print application in the firmware and the manual is garbage.

You should really talk to someone to get both fixed.

Thanks for the help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Saurabh_Bansal (Microsoft)
Solution

@Christian-busitec    Thank you so much for providing the screen shot. Now we understand what is going on. Please enter the following value: 

f9fc375c-c7ba-4e5c-b213-23affd792cc1

View solution in original post