Can universal print drivers somehow override locally installed via IP for the same printer ?

Copper Contributor

ok I know this sounds strange I just started working somewhere when users cannot print, and it seems to me they've added the physical printer via IP address as opposed to going to Find printers search WORK or SCHOOL function which is obviously mdm related and UP related, so a lot of our tickets are remoting onto end users machines and removing the local printers via control panel and using the local admin password from Intune for the device in question, so very long winded, why can't intune/UP just override the installation of that printer with the correct method through UP, that would be a game changer and reduce our tickets by hundreds a month.

Now I'm assuming they were added via direct IP, rather than search UP, the whole search function is strange if you ask me having to click on work or school access then search the printer, the fault could potentially have occurred for users who have more than 1 azure mdm account linked.

1 Reply
Using network printers is a different scenario from Universal Print. Technically, both printers are reported very differently in Windows and its not possible for Windows to determine if its the same printer!
You may technically block users from adding printers using IP addresses and use Universal Print only. Here is an article on this (disclaimer: I have personally not tried steps in this article and its not endorsed by Microsoft) - https://katystech.blog/mem/restrict-printing