Mobile Print on mobile clients (iOS , Android)

Mobile Print on mobile clients (iOS , Android)

Upvotes

Upvote

Mar 04 2020
40 Comments (40 New)
In progress
Please enable universal printing available on mobile clients so business users are able to print directly from phone or tablet.
Comments
Microsoft

@PaulGMVP thanks for adding this to Ideas so it can get votes.

Copper Contributor

Specifically Android support to a printer connected to a Win10 Box.

Copper Contributor

This would be great! 

Maybe it could be possible through an additional app, the company portal. Another way might be that just Intune managed apps are able to print to this printer. 

Community Manager

Community Manager

Community Manager

Community Manager

Community Manager

Community Manager
Status changed to: New

Brass Contributor

A Universal Print mobile app is a must have for iPad/iPhone/Android Tablet/Phones.  More and more of our users need to print from these devices.  Having this app would be a HUGE selling point for others wanting to adopt UP cloud printing.  I'm anxious to see what Microsoft will provide towards this!

Iron Contributor

We need this for Warehouse Android applications - label printing is super critical.

Copper Contributor

Commenting to keep track of progress for this. 

Copper Contributor

Interested in this too, I thought I read Universal Print was coming to the Business Central mobile app, would the same get added into all of Microsoft's apps?

Copper Contributor

This would certainly help our multi-platform company who use tablets and phones for work and are managed through Intune.

Copper Contributor

Can't emphasize how much this is important for SMB targeting to go cloud-only.  Mobile is more and more critical and especially if I'm upselling to a service that charges per-page for printing, they should be able to print from anywhere.

Copper Contributor

Satya says "mobile first / cloud first".  Stop going part-way.  Make it happen...   HP has done it for about 10 years

Copper Contributor

Up, this is something we're looking forward to. 

Iron Contributor

Printing from mobile/table is possible through OneDrive in the Microsoft Edge app.

• Install the Microsoft Edge app
  • Surf to your OneDrive
  • Select a document
  • Select Print
  • Now you can choose to print any printer you have access to in Universal Print without having to install it on your device.

Verified on iOS and Mac but I expect it to work just as well on Android and iPadOS.

Copper Contributor

Printing for Non Corporate ( IOS, Android, Windows, Linux ) BYOD devices would help position outside the corporate environment. i.e Libraries, SMB Market 

Specially if users printing payments could be securely managed via an App. 

Brass Contributor

Thanks @AndreasAsander.   Did you mean installing the the "Office" App (as you mentioned Edge)?  Can anyone from Microsoft confirm this please (ie able to print to any available universal print via IOS/MAC/Android?

Brass Contributor

@FrankBastone  I also did this test on IOS and it is working as @AndreasAsander said.  I would add the following:

1. You must use the Web version of OneDrive (in Edge Browser) not the Native Mobile App
  2. On a mobile device, this is not a great User Experience (but it work)

This is not a solution we can consider for our business users.  Still waiting (hoping) for this feature to be integrated natively within the O365 Mobile App Suite.

Brass Contributor

Thanks @MickaelLap for confirming and the quick response.  I agree that being limited to the browser is not ideal nor the best user experience.  It also means updating existing conditional access rules to permit Edge browser (if this is something you are currently blocking/controlling).  More importantly though, this 5 jobs per user per month limitation is a real show-stopper (despite the ability to pool or buy add-ons).  Hoping Microsoft reconsiders these limitations (similar to how it's changed other licenses as a result of dismal adoption).  Cheers.

Copper Contributor

I'm not finding that the mobile browser option is working for me.

I'm definitely hoping for an integration into AirPrint of some sort, since IIRC that's all IPP under the hood.

Copper Contributor

is it known whether microsoft is working on this idea of making mobile printing available for iOS and Android?

Copper Contributor

Any update on this?  would be nice if something call *universal print* was universal

Copper Contributor

This would be the perfect addition to Mobile management.

Copper Contributor

I also would like to give an upvote for the ability to use Universal printing from the Office mobile apps.

Brass Contributor

This is a big one, and its absence deeply undermines the "Universal Print" branding.

Ideally, any InTune-managed device should be able to leverage Universal Print on an OS level, to include Android and iOS/iPadOS. For Android, this would be one rare feature that you'd likely want to blur the lines between the personal and work sides of a device, too, allowing for a user to print just as freely from a PDF shared over WhatsApp by an external contact as they could a Word doc on the protected work side.

But acknowledging the complexity of all that, it's critically important that the iOS and Android app devs add print capabilities to all major mobile Office apps, most critically Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneDrive.

Expecting users to be able to remember to and master any MFA complexities of giving up on those apps that lack this feature and instead reverting to the mobile web UX or some weird Edge workaround isn't realistic.

Live up to the name, and ensure that all product teams working on Office for mobile devices universally enable access to Universal Print.

Copper Contributor

Check if your printer has built-in mobile printing capabilities or if it is compatible with mobile printing services like Google Cloud Print or Apple AirPrint. If not, you may need to explore alternative solutions such as third-party printing apps or wireless printing devices. Make sure your printer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your mobile device. This step may involve configuring the Wi-Fi settings on your printer, following the manufacturer's instructions. Depending on your printer's brand, there might be a dedicated mobile app available. Visit the respective app store for your device (App Store for iOS or Google Play Store for Android) and search for the printer manufacturer's app. Download and install it on your mobile device.

Brass Contributor

Negating the benefit of Universal Print, keeping us in the state of being dependent on and trusting printer specific apps and services.

Btw, Google Cloud Print is deprecated, and competitors like PrinterLogic, PaperCut, and Lexmark's do offer more robust and generic "one app for all your printers" experiences.

If/When Microsoft does the lift to make those features a fully integrated part of InTune, that will allow them to make the sales pitch of Microsoft Universal Print being truly universal for anything they have their MDM hooks into.

In the meantime, though, enterprises that use Universal Print need a basic print button in the iOS and Android mobile apps to plug the gap between them and the mobile web user experience.

But yeah, the end goal should be true universality for Universal Print on all UEM-managed devices.