(05) 2021-01-18 15:36:44 Slp: at System.DirectoryServices.Interop.UnsafeNativeMethods.IAdsContainer.GetObject(String className, String relativeName)
(05) 2021-01-18 15:36:44 Slp: at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.Find(String name, String schemaClassName)
(05) 2021-01-18 15:36:44 Slp: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.User.LookupADEntry()
I captured Process Monitor trace. But we don't find any 'Access Denied' error in process monitor trace.
I also analyzed Network monitor trace and found below error message sat 13:14:16.AD engineer confirmed it's “RPC Access denied”
According to the analysis of AD engineer, we found “RPC Access denied” is because of AuthLength =0 .
Incorrect GPO setting: Customer configured RPC restriction permission to two groups in GPO: Default Domain Controller Policy, but GPO security filtering is empty hence every DC will be rejected to apply settings in this GPO, and finally used default policy value: Administrators group only, caused user SAMR query “Access is denied” error, and SQL installation failed with same error.
Add back “Authentication Users” group under Default Domain Controller Policy – Security Filtering, run: gpupdate /force on DCs and issue resolved.