conversation history in oulook 2016

Copper Contributor

I'm experiencing a Problem with Skype for Business users, who have an addittional Exchange mail account in their Outlook.  We are using the latest Outlook and also the latest Skype for Business Client (monthly channel). Our Skype for Business and on-prem Exchange Servers are patched to the latest release.

The conversation history for some users gets saved in their additional Mailbox, which doesn't match the user's own UPN or Emailadress. The only way to resolve this issue I could find out, was deleting the additional Mailbox, disable the saving in the S4B Client, reboot, re-enable saving in the S4B Client, test that conversation gets saved to user's Mailbox, re-enable additional Mailbox. Does anybody have any ideas on this?

5 Replies
i've seen this problem earlier at a customer, the problem over there was Skype cannot handle 2 Exchange User mailboxes.

Are u using shared mailboxes or user mailboxes?

Conversation History Add-in for Microsoft Office 2013 is saving the conversation history via MAPI. By default, Lync 2013/ Skype for Business saves the conversations though EWS. Lync/Sfb uses Windows credential manager to authenticate in EWS request. If Windows credential manager provides shared mailbox's credential, Exchange provides access to shared mailbox.
Only when then EWS is not available or there are problems using it, then Lync uses the MAPI protocol through this add-in to connect to Exchange Server and save the conversation history.

There are basically 3 methods to gain access to mailbox:

1. Adding an extra account (only one can be primary)

2. Add mailbox via advanced more 

3. File other users folder (mostly for send receive permissions)

I believe you are doing option one where this issue might occur. 

Can you confirm

Ivan 

Hi Ivan,

thank you for your reply! The issue occures, if users have additional mailboxes through "1. Adding an extra account". The credentials for the second account are saved in the credential manager. 

I understand, for users with additional mailboxes, you would recommend to "2. Add mailbox via advanced more " ?

Thanks for your help!

stephan

That's correct.

I personally haven't had Conversation History since before Christmas!  Ivan's post prompted me to remove all things Outlook from my Credential Manager which seems to have solved my issue so far.  Thank you Ivan!