SOLVED

Separating multiple values in Excel so that SharePoint List will recognise the different values

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am trying to import content from an Excel spreadsheet into a Sharepoint List. One of the fields in the List is the 'type of work' the applicant seeks, which is a 'choice' field that permits multiple selections (see attached image)

aarontimo_0-1695601044454.png

To create a similar variable from the existing Excel spreadsheet, I have had to draw from multiple columns, as we were not storing the information in one column. The result in column H (in Excel) is a string with the different 'types of work' (as named in the List) (see attached).

aarontimo_1-1695601303553.png

When I try to import the data from Excel to the List by going to 'Edit in Grid View' (in SharePoint List) and then copying and pasting the data from Excel to List all the content is correctly copied across except where there is more than one 'type of work' option in the cell copied from Excel (see below)

aarontimo_2-1695601848408.png

The error message associated with the fields in red states that '"marking work Course Coord" are not a valid value for this field'.

I have tried adding commas, semi-colons and ;# between the multiple values but the same error message appears.

Is there a way to separate multiple values in Excel so that SharePoint List will recognise the values as multiple values from those available?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you might have.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by aarontimo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@aarontimo you can achieve this with a flow in Power Automate and there is a YouTube video here  which shows you how to do it.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP UK (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by aarontimo (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@aarontimo you can achieve this with a flow in Power Automate and there is a YouTube video here  which shows you how to do it.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP UK (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

View solution in original post