SOLVED

"Get a Link" changed to "Copy Link?" When?

Steel Contributor

Does anyone have a solid idea of when the "Get a Link" button functionality switched over to "Copy Link?" I just noticed my tenant has undergone this change, and I want to be able to tell my users when this happened. Also, does anyone know of a way to change the default settings so the "Allow Editing" box is unchecked?

Copy Link.PNG

35 Replies
best response confirmed by Matt Coats (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Matt Coats,

We changed over to "Copy Link" when we rolled out the new sharing dialog. This has been in-progress for the last two months so your tenant may have seen that changes anytime in that period. 

Also, we currently have no feature that allows you to uncheck "Allow editing" by default. Stay tuned though... :)

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Thanks for the information. I will eagerly await news of a way to change the default option for editing rights; I would prefer to see that the opportunity for human error this presents is modifiable as soon as possible.

This looks great, much clearer what's happening.  I wish our new Tenant had this new functionality, hopefully we will see this coming through to us soon!

Hi Stephen, do you know when this will be across everyone's tenant, still no change here? Also, is this going to be changing in OneDrive as well as SharePoint? Thanks!

And "Share" has also changed with the similar window. So is "Anyone" =  to "Everyone" and "People in [Company]" = to "Everyone except external". Will they continue to map and eventually change to the new name references?

And "Share" has also changed with the similar window. So is "Anyone" =  to "Everyone" and "People in [Company]" = to "Everyone except external". Will they continue to map and eventually change to the new name references?

Love it!  The new wording is very clear.  Thank you!

This seems to have been pushed across to both our SharePoint and OneDrive sites now, which is great. Definitely easier to understand.

@Andrew Silcock@Paul Beiler, glad you're enjoying the feature!

@Laurie Gonyea, close, but not quite! "Anyone" is equivalent to an anonymous link (i.e. anyone who possesses the link can access the item) and "People in <Company>" is similar. The "Everyone" and "Everyone except external users" claims are special "objects" in the people picker that map to a set of users. Think of them like pre-built security groups. 

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Hi Stephen,

After a few days of playing and getting user feedback, there are some parts of the changes that are confusing for me and our users.

In this scenario I want to share a file with someone, we have disabled anonymous access on our tenant so the user needs to give them direct access to the file, unfortunately our users might not know this or care, they just want to share a file as quick or quicker than it takes to attach a file in an email.

I select the file in my library and I click share from the ribbon, it says "Only you can access this item." to which I say to myself - I know this, but I'm going to share it so that's ok, no problem.

I then type in the person's email address that I want to share it with because I clicked share so obviously whoever I type in here it's going to share with right?

It then says "The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item" and I'm now confused, it doesn't tell me that I need to explicitly give this person permissions and it doesn't automatically give this person permissions either.

From here I'm looking for a button or a something that tells me where to go from here, is there something that allows me to share it with the user or to give this user permissions to access it perhaps?

There isn't one, so I might give up here and people have started to do so. If I don't give up I start clicking around. I click on the yellow icon which takes me to a new set of options. Which defaults to the yellow icon again. In my mind, I've already tried the yellow icon, so I don't try that one. I start clicking around, realise there are no other options (we've disabled anonymous access). So I click back to the yellow icon, enter the email address of the user I want to share the file with. Make sure Allow editing is selected and click apply. Great, now my link has been shared right? Well, not quite yet, actually now I need to click send and finally, it tells me the link has been sent.

Assuming I know exactly what I'm doing it takes seven clicks to send a file to someone who hasn't yet been given direct permissions to the file.

We're finding users have given up way before the final few steps and have just gone back to Dropbox or something else.

I appreciate allowing anonymous access links would perhaps make this easier, but we have disabled these for a reason.

Is there anything we can do to make this process smoother, without having to train 5,000 staff? We're a bit stumped.

Hi @Stephen Rice, this is neat functionality. I just need to explain it to my end users so they can start using it. Are you aware of any official Microsoft help pages that describe this? So far, i've only been able to find pages that show the old way of doing this. Thank you!

@Andrew Silcock: Great post. I'm a baffled Site Collection Administrator/Site Owner as well. I can't explain to my end users the meaning of "The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item." Nor am I able to tell them what to do. My only recourse, once again, is to revert back to Classic View, where the sharing UI--while not perfect--is at least production-ready. Maybe @Stephen Rice, or somebody more closely aligned with the SharePoint Product Group (rather than OneDrive), can clarify your excellent questions...

Pleased I'm not the only one. Hopefully, Microsoft will listen to our feedback.

I've found another frustrating thing within the new sharing capabilities that occurs if I have disabled the ability for my site members to share files without approval. (Set under Access Request Settings option).

The scenario is: as a user I try sharing a file to someone who doesn't have access to the file. As a user, I may or may not know that I need approval to share something.

I select the file in my library, and I click share from the ribbon.

I then type in the person's email address that I want to share with.

It then says "The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item". I'm already confused as explained in my previous long post on this thread.

I click on the yellow icon which takes me to a new set of options, as mentioned above this is unintuitive, but none the less I have managed to work out where to go to next. I enter the email address or name of the user I want to share the file with. Make sure Allow editing is selected and click apply. Great, now my link has been shared right?

Well, no, now it takes me back to the view I was initially looking at. It tells me again "The recipient you entered doesn't have permission to access the item". and I'm back to square one? Did it work? What's happened here?

I see nothing new, and I give up. Assuming I didn't give up way before this.

What I should see is something along the lines of: "An email has been sent to *Insert name of access requests owner* for approval. After the owner approves the request, recipients will receive a confirmation email."

What has actually happened is an email has been set to me and the person listed to receive access requests.

The email to me (the user trying to share the file) explains that "We've asked the owner to share *Insert site here* with: Joe Bloggs. After the owner approves the request, recipients will receive a confirmation email.". Fair enough.

The email to the access requests owner asks them to approve. Great.

The email works fine, but tell me what's happening within the sharing options as well, don't expect me to read an email to know what has just happened.
Many thanks Andrew, that's exactly what I was looking for!
We're seeing exactly the same - it's seems a really strange design decision to give someone the option to "Enter a name of email address" + "Add a message (optional)" + Send button, but for this view to all be about essentially checking whether a user has permission already.

To be completely honest, I'm starting to lose patience with the number of changes being made to the sharing files and folders features in OneDrive & SharePoint. The changes are causing mass confusion across the organisation, and we're seeing users simply give up or flick to competing products & services which are just easier to use.
I'm with you on that one Tom. We're struggling with all the changes as well.

We've changed the default to "Only people in *Organisation* with the link can view and edit." which I'm hoping will alleviate some of the concerns.

Additionally, we're rethinking where we should be sharing from in the first place. People are used to sending emails with attachments, so with that in mind, we're starting to recommend people use Outlook and the attach file functionality instead of sharing directly through SharePoint/OneDrive.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Matt Coats (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Matt Coats,

We changed over to "Copy Link" when we rolled out the new sharing dialog. This has been in-progress for the last two months so your tenant may have seen that changes anytime in that period. 

Also, we currently have no feature that allows you to uncheck "Allow editing" by default. Stay tuned though... :)

Stephen Rice

View solution in original post