New Feature: News Webpart

Brass Contributor

I just had my mind blown! There is the new webpart called news.  I tested it out and it is a pretty sweet web part. BUT (there is always a but). MS designed it so you can only use it once on a site. SAY WHAT??

I don't understand that, why create a web part and only make it useable once on a site?

We had several solutions this webpart would help solve. Now back to the drawing board :(

3 Replies
Interesting...what do you mean by using only once in a site? AFAIK you can add a WebPart as many times as you want and on different pages

News web part can be added to any modern page from the toolbox (as any other web part). Are you referring to the fact that on a given site it will always show the same set of news that were published on that site?

That is indeed the case right now - news web part will always show news that were published on the site that the page belongs to. We do have a plan to extend that capability to point to other sites or aggregate from multiple sites in the future.

Gotta start somewhere--even Microsoft is subject to iterative releases.

That said, I wanted to point out to you that the "Events" web part may help your organization lighten the load off of the News web part, depending on what it is you need. Events is pretty new, but I think everyone has it now--take a look and hopefully that'll help you like it has my org until News expands a bit.