Issues in Check-In/Check-Out - Possibly Recent Releases

Iron Contributor

I have an important user who is experiencing some 'unwanted' changes (starting past couple of days, I was notified on 4/13/2017).  The changes noted were in the way she has been doing Check-In/Check-Out. We are on Office-365 and the user is on 'deferred channel', office-version and build as below.

Office-Version.png

When the user selects any document to 'Edit in Word' then it gives the usual diaglog box, where it indicates that the document will be checked out (we have forced check-out set on library). Here if the user clicks 'OK' then it directly checks-out the item. This is unlike what the user has been  experiencing earlier, wherein it used to open the document in client (i.e. word) and would give a button (CHECKOUT) in the yellow ribbon at the top to check-out the item.

In my case, I am not able to recreate the user's problem, as for me it has been always checking-out directly, without giving me the option to 'CHECKOUT'. I am on 'Current Channel' upgrade, and I suspect, the users' issue might be related to recent upgrade releases.

So the basic question is, how do we control the behaviour, so that the Office-365/SharePoint Online allow users to open documents in "read-only" mode in client (not browser) and give users the "CHECKOUT" option in the ribbon of the client.

Thanks so much.

5 Replies

@Kerem Yuceturk

Hello Kerem,

Just wanted to request help with the above clarification. Thanks so much.

Hello Community,  Appreciate any insight into the above workflow. Thanks so much.

Hello @Vesa Juvonen,

Just would like to request some insight with this issue and if there is a place where we can see all the UI changes being rolled out with the respective releases. Thanks so much for any guidance.

Vivek

Hi @Vivek Jain,

Unfortunately this falls outside of my expertize and responsibilities, so can't really help directluy on this. Would however anyway proceed by opening up a support ticke to get the issue logged with details around the impact and the change, which you have seen. This way issue is properly tracked by official systems. Thx.

Thanks for the inputs. This is not really an incident but more of an information request from MS about where the customers can find the user interface changes in upcoming releases, so that admins and all of staff can accomodate training sessions in everyone's schedule to prepare staff for upcoming releases.

I will keep looking, as things like these are not really incidents which could be budgted. Thanks.