SOLVED

How does a site collection admin use PowerShell to update modern themes?

Steel Contributor

Hi All - Is it possible for a site collection admin who is NOT a global admin or service admin to use SPO Powershell and connect to her site collection and then update modern themes?   She can connect using PnP Powershell, but updating the modern themes is a SPO Powershell thing.  I think the answer is NO since you have to Connect-SPOService before you can do anything in SPO Powershell, but I figured I would ask in case I am missing something.  Thanks  - Greg

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Gregory Frick (Steel Contributor)
Solution

you are correct, To use SharePoint Online PowerShell commands, you must be a SharePoint Online global administrator.

Thanks Dean -  My user will be disappointed, since she wants to modify themes on Modern sites.

Take a look at the new site design packages, they don’t require power shell

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint-Blog/Create-and-use-custom-SharePoint-site-designs...

I will read that blog more closely, but I think a Global Admin (maybe a SharePoint Admin, Service Admin as well) creates and manages the available themes via PowerShell  (SPO SharePoint Online Management Shell) and users can select from the themes available in the gallery.   It is very possible I am misunderstanding something so I will review Mark Kashman's blog.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gregory Frick (Steel Contributor)
Solution

you are correct, To use SharePoint Online PowerShell commands, you must be a SharePoint Online global administrator.

View solution in original post