SOLVED

Has anybodys seen any new hint or actual release of the modern communication site?

Copper Contributor

Been looking since monday as there seems to be a target date of June 12th?

27 Replies
best response confirmed by Eric Silver (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The target is End of Q2, so there is still time left.
The date June 12th I've only read concerning the update for managed metadata in the smartfilters pane.

What I am really exited about is the capability of doing columns of Web Part.  Only using one row to lay out multiple web parts for a home page will be a lot more easier.

We're all feverishly waiting for this ;)
OK, I'm here, but I can't read the whole subject line. What do we want for month end?
Hi Chris, it's a question around the release date for Communication Sites. We know it's due this month for FR but everyone is trying to narrow down a specific date! Thanks. I think the June 12th reference comes from your Filter Pane blog though AFAIK.

Just got it today...

Is what I hope I'm going to be saying on or before the 28th with the SharePoint AMA.!!!!

Up on the message centre as MC107045 so hopefully not long now!
Click "Create Website" everyday over here :p

Ah yes I see that now, saw in the other post regarding this, it will be a very slow roll out even to first release.

Why couldn't this just been one of the features they accidentally turn on without notification and everyone has it without anyone getting any notice, at least I'm not sitting here checking the create new site button

Some people over here is sometimes too impatient ;)

saw something coming up in the messagecenter but first release is rolling out and i guess to all it will be end of q3 if all goes well :)

Tomorrow we plan to start the rollout journey for communication sites, modern pages v2, & next big set of web parts. More dets to come soon https://t.co/Vitj5o6uiw

— andyhaon (@andyhaon) June 27, 2017
So if Andy wrote that PST then 'tomorrow' is today, right? ;)
well, the blog posts out for today with the announcement. Unfortunately my tenant is setup up for full tenant first release, and deployments always seem to start for select people first release.
Yeah I do find that strange, I'm yet to get and see any blog posts regarding how it works, but I'm assuming if one of the "Select First Release" users creates a comms site, all other users will be able to access and see it.

Maybe the Select First release, is being used so a smaller set of users will have access to create, but all can still access.

Please be patient - there are multiple randomized rings of deployment for features as they move through First Release and general release.  In other words, features going to First Release don't go to all First Release tenants on the same day, but are usually phased over a few weeks. 

That said, here's today's post: https://blogs.office.com/2017/06/27/sharepoint-communication-sites-begin-rollout-to-office-365-custo...

@Mark Kashman

All good, thanks for the update. Was mainly querying the Select First release, I would have figured a Entire First release tenant would be a smaller set of users, though in reality I have no idea what's involved in the back-end to roll this out.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eric Silver (Copper Contributor)
Solution
The target is End of Q2, so there is still time left.
The date June 12th I've only read concerning the update for managed metadata in the smartfilters pane.

View solution in original post