SOLVED

Dedicated News Site - Filter News to Team Sites

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am currently trying to setup a dedicated News Site for our company, this site would be managed and populated by a core group of users through out our business of about 350 people. This site would feature industry related news, external news about the business, and then specific types of news that might be more focused to a certain area of our business, such as Technical news about new products.

I am trying to find a way to share this news across our other Team site, for example:

The News Site has an article posted about the latest technical product, and someone else posts a news article about working from home (not related to technical) 

These article's are shown on the latest news web part on the News Site.

When the user visits the department Team site, ie The Technical Team, this would see only the technical product news in the news webpart. 

I've tried using this with Highlighted content and audience targeting but the display of this isn't great and doesn't really show it like a proper news feed, i looked to use the News Part and selecting the News Site as the source but then there is no filter options to filter the news down (which seems like an oversight) 

Is there a way to achieve what i'm trying to do with a custom script or a different way to filter the news down.

Our main concern is that we don't want the core news team to have to navigate to different sites to post news related to that team, and then having no overall visibility of all the news the company is sharing, as someone in the Project Management team, might want to read about the latest technical equipment and could do this from visiting the News Site and seeing the articles. 

Any help would be great

Thanks

Andy 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by amelsom2035 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@amelsom2035 One thing to consider - if you make a separate communication site for each type of news, you can assign different people permissions for each type. Then, people can subscribe to the sites that have the news type that they wish to follow. AND, you can create a news web part on the individual relevant team sites so that you pull in ALL the news from the new site that is relevant for that team. News does not let you use a filter when you are pulling in content from another site, but it does let you pull in ALL the news from another site. Using this approach has the added advantage that each article will have metadata telling where it came from. On your "main" news site, you can have individual News web parts pulling in news from each News site so anyone who goes to the main news site could see all news in a single place. You could even make the main News site a hub and associate all the other topic-specific News sites to that hub. Hopefully, this picture helps explain!

News Hub.png

Agree with Susan here. I have this similar setup where I have my main hub. This has all our dept. org sites and even private sites joined to it. Each dept. org site has news that each department can maintain or you can grant permission to. In the main homepage is a news webpart that filters by site and we have all the other news sites selected manually and they all roll up to the main site. Corp news gets added to news on the main site and so on.

you can also create a managed property now on news pages so you can have all the news on one site and categorize it then create multiple pages in this site for each category with a news part filtered down. So the main page can show all. Then you can have navigation to another page with a news part filtering to that specific news.

More info here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.mydock365.com/page-metadata-arrives-to-microsoft-sharepoint-online...

Either option should work for the most part to your requirements.

Hi @Susan Hanley 

Thank's for the reply, this was one option I was considering doing which I've suggest to the wider team that will overall be managing the news. I think this is the best option that would work. I'm doing this is currently in a slightly different way as we have divisions and then departments, our divisional hub sites are sitting as Hubs that link our departments. so i am linking the news from the divisional sites back to the the overall news site , so you can visit the news page and see the news from each division, I was then going to setup a page per department under the news that the just pulls news from the department areas, so you can visit the News site, and go to the Technical News page and see the news that the technical department have posted, without needing to be a member of the technical teams page. 

overall 'd like to use your suggestion but i have to link this in to legacy sites that are being used, and our users don't have a lot of experience with SharePoint at the moment so need to make this as easy as possible. 

Thanks for your replies they are really useful!

They will still have to have access to the Tech page in order to see their news as the News WebPart is search based and security trimmed. They will at least need access to the pages and any content added to the pages inside that site or you will not see the news and or be missing content on the pages.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by amelsom2035 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@amelsom2035 One thing to consider - if you make a separate communication site for each type of news, you can assign different people permissions for each type. Then, people can subscribe to the sites that have the news type that they wish to follow. AND, you can create a news web part on the individual relevant team sites so that you pull in ALL the news from the new site that is relevant for that team. News does not let you use a filter when you are pulling in content from another site, but it does let you pull in ALL the news from another site. Using this approach has the added advantage that each article will have metadata telling where it came from. On your "main" news site, you can have individual News web parts pulling in news from each News site so anyone who goes to the main news site could see all news in a single place. You could even make the main News site a hub and associate all the other topic-specific News sites to that hub. Hopefully, this picture helps explain!

News Hub.png

View solution in original post