Custom Scripts and Save as a Template - Can the two functions be separated?

Copper Contributor

Good Morning Tech Community,

I hope you are all having a positive 2024, and I am hoping you could possibly help me find a way to make my 2024 a bit more positive as well.

I have been exploring a common "risk" with regards to the enabling of the "Custom Scripts" function on SharePoint, and was hoping to get either a workaround, or if I could possibly propose a possibility of a solution. 

Currently, the ability to 'Save a Template' for a SharePoint list is tied to the function on the administrator side "Enable the use of Custom Scripts". The problem with this is that the function to "Enable the use of Custom Scripts" is not limited to SharePoint lists, but a lot of other possibilities of script embedding capabilities within SharePoint as well.

I am trying to "Save a List as a template > WITH the included content" from a "Personal SharePoint", and then import it into a SharePoint Online site. I know this can be done by enabling Custom Scripts, but the risks are too large to mitigate once that feature is switched on, even for a moment to just quickly save a couple templates, as anything is possible, and we do not want to leave anything to chance. 

There are a lot of functional limitations to importing files from a spreadsheet or CSV including ones that are exported from a list, and it would be a welcome option to be able to save a "SharePoint List Template" without having to enable "All Custom Scripts". 

So my ask was, is it possible to have the "Save as a template for a Microsoft List" and/or "Save as a template for a SharePoint Site" and/or "Any and all Other Custom-Like Scripts" as separate options, or just simply 'More' options, so we have more control over what Custom Scripts can be run?

I wasn't the first one to bring up this issue, and someone even went as far to say they felt there was a 'loss in value' not having this solution: SharePoint 2016 Online - How do I save a list as a template? - Microsoft Community back in Jan 2020, and I was wondering if since 4 years have past since then, if this is 'now' a possibility to revisit with SharePoint Online?

Any thoughts, feedback, concerns, support, or workarounds would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you all again for your time, your consideration, and hopefully, the start of an open discussion to explore this possibility. Have a great rest of your week and a great 2024!

Kind Regards,
Kris Smith

A self-declared unofficial M365 Facilitator

Move away from being a Subject-Matter-Expert and being the only GOAT with a solution... become a Facilitator and encourage sharing knowledge to start the discussion of collaboration in thinking Agile. 

0 Replies