Choice field with Intellisense / Autocomplete not working perfectly

Copper Contributor

I have a SP list "choice" column with "Allow Fill-in choices: Yes". It lets add new choice texts while filling Form. But when typing an already (previous) added choice. The intellisence / autocomplete only works when the initial letter / word is typed. For example:

2023-09-13 15_22_16-New item _ Dispatch backup.png

The option 'My Cup Of Tea' only shows when I type the starting word 'My' and not when 'Cup' or 'Tea' is typed.

2023-09-13 15_29_13-New item _ Dispatch backup.png

2023-09-13 15_28_21-New item _ Dispatch backup.png

I have users working with list item count > 3000 and it's critical that the suggestions work for the choice column. Is there any work around through JSON or any other List setting which can enable user to have improved suggestions in the Choice field?
@Sara_Cummings @Sergei Baklan @traceycarisch @GabeHo @Brady-B @Hans Vogelaar @Deleted @The_Exchange_Team  @NikolinoDE @GBushey @Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus @Vasil Michev @ganeshsanap @Riny_van_Eekelen @Peter Bartholomew @NicolasKheirallah @Patrick2788 @AMateos91 @deepaksharma1984 

15 Replies

@amke321 This is by design in SharePoint and default behavior of search option for choice column options.

Search works based on "starts with" criteria and not "contains" criteria. I don't think there is any setting to change this behavior and you cannot modify this behavior of list forms using SharePoint JSON formatting.

If you want Microsoft to change this behavior, you can submit feedback at: SharePoint Feedback Portal 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@amke321 

Improving the autocomplete or intellisense functionality in a SharePoint Choice field for multi-word choices can be challenging due to SharePoint's default behavior. However, here is a concrete solution proposal that you can implement:

Use a Managed Metadata Column:

Managed Metadata columns provide a more flexible and structured way to manage choices, and they offer a richer tagging experience. Here is how you can use this approach:

1. Create a Managed Metadata Term Set:
    • Go to your SharePoint site.
    • Click on "Settings" (gear icon) and select "Site settings."
    • Under the "Site Administration" section, click on "Term store management."
  2. In the Term Store Management Tool, create a new term set that corresponds to your choice field.
  3. Add terms to the term set, using single words or short phrases as individual terms. For example:
    • Term: My
    • Term: Cup
    • Term: Tea
  4. In your SharePoint list or library, create a new Managed Metadata column and associate it with the term set you created.
  5. Replace your existing Choice column with the new Managed Metadata column in your list's content type or forms.

Benefits of using Managed Metadata:

• Terms are hierarchical, allowing you to organize choices in a more structured manner.
  • Terms can have synonyms, so if a user types "Tea," it will suggest "Tea" even if the term is associated with "Cup of Tea."
  • SharePoint's built-in autocomplete behavior works more effectively with Managed Metadata columns compared to Choice columns with multi-word choices.

Please note that implementing this solution may require some initial setup time to migrate your data and configure the Managed Metadata column. However, it should provide a better user experience with improved autocomplete suggestions for multi-word choices.

Remember to communicate the change to your users and provide training if necessary, so they are aware of the new column and how to use it effectively.

Additonal you can try with Custom JavaScript Solution. You can create a custom JavaScript solution to enhance the autocomplete functionality. This solution would involve overriding the default behavior of the choice field. It can be complex, but it gives you full control over the autocomplete behavior. Here is a simplified example to get you started (untested):

Javascript code:

// Add this script to your SharePoint form $(document).ready(function () { // Target your choice field by its ID var choiceField = $("select[id$='YourChoiceFieldID']"); // Enable autocomplete for the choice field choiceField.select2({ tags: true, // Allow custom entries tokenSeparators: [',', ' '] // Define token separators }); });

This code uses the Select2 library for improved dropdowns with search capabilities.

As a long-term solution, consider cleaning up the existing data in your choice column. Remove duplicate or similar choices to make it easier for users to find what they need.

My knowledge of this topic is limited, I entered your question in various AI. The text and the steps are the result of various AI's put together.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

@NikolinoDE 

I'm very suspicious it works. Did you test that?

@NikolinoDE, I agree with Sergei. Did it work for you?

@AMateos91 @Sergei Baklan

Please ignore responses by @NikolinoDE. Most of the times those are AI generated responses which are not tested in SharePoint and does not work!

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

I cannot understand why some people are so disturbed by AI's suggestions.

I mentioned clearly enough that my suggestion was suggested by an AI and is untested, as well as my limited knowledge of the topic.

The fact that some people only rely on human knowledge and cannot get used to AI is, in my opinion, a step back into the past.

The fact that messages are now being warned that messages should be ignored is, to put it mildly, a source of incomprehension for me.

Let us let the user decide what is useful for them or not.

“The ability to observe without judgment is the highest form of intelligence.” (Jiddu Krishnamurti)

@NikolinoDE 

Using AI and solve a problem is great!

Posting unverified AI answers, however, is both useless and potentially harmful for the future of AI. And if you don't have the expertise to validate AI generated instructions, better to refrain from answering altogether!

I'm also active in the Answers forum and have been given the opportunity to test an "Answer with OpenAI " button when I reply to questions. Subject to one important condition, though. AI generated answers MUST be validated. Otherwise they will be removed.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

There has been a difference of opinion between us for a long time when it comes to AI, we agree. That is the only thing they have in common. Even though I was not sure whether this only affected the AI or me personally.

As far as the AI is concerned, it is very strange that the answer coming from the AI can harm the AI. For me it has always been better to give an answer, even if it may not be 100% accurate, than to give no answer at all, even if you say the opposite.

Anyway, will not comment further, there is no point and such comments certainly do not help the user.

@Riny_van_Eekelen @NikolinoDE ,

Yes, it is discussing that AI potentially could be collapsed. It generates lot of not verified information, much more than human being. Such generated information is used as the basis for future answers.  Incorrectness  is growing quite fast and one day majority of information will be incorrect.

Hope algorithms will be adjusted, will see.

@NikolinoDE 

We don't have any issues with the AI generated answers if those works correctly.

It is a problem when those answers are incorrect and not verified. Mainly when OP tries to follow the steps given in incorrect AI generated response and they get stuck in between those steps - it wastes lot of time of users trying to find out why the solution is not working.

In this particular response, you are suggesting to use the custom JavaScript on list forms but SharePoint online does not support using custom JavaScript directly on list forms like SharePoint server versions (via script editor or content editor web parts).

I can give another example, like here: SharePoint Online Query Rules - You are suggesting to use the PowerShell command like Get-SPOSearchQueryRules and New-PnPSearchQueryRule which is misleading as these commands are not available in SharePoint Online PowerShell and PnP PowerShell. And I am sure OP @susheel020 must have wasted his precious work time trying to find out these commands on the internet.

This are just few examples. You can guess what will happen when AI generated responses suggest deleting columns or data in their steps to solve some issue and user tries to follow such steps thinking it will solve their issue but they will lost the whole data from SharePoint lists.

@ganeshsanap 

The never-ending story of AI.

Opinions vary widely.

Can you use AI “openly” or does the AI have to be guided in channels?

My opinion is that AI is a tool that should be used creatively. The user decides whether the result is accepted or not. I believe that every user is mature enough to decide for themselves whether it can be useful for them or not. Whether the user loses a lot of time with this or not is also a discussion in itself, because this is also relative.

The pros and cons can take a long time. A discussion about AI or the way it is used is currently a topic that the great minds of this world still do not agree on.

Who am I to criticize other people's opinions on this topic!

What bothers me is the indirect or direct personal comments instead of discussing the topic. It is one thing to point out possible mistakes and another thing to use the topic to discredit the person, directly or indirectly.

As far as I am concerned, I'll try to give an answer as far as possible if no answer has been given. As far as possible, I will describe most of my answers as AI answers if they are taken from them. As I mentioned before, it's better to give an answer, even if it's not 100% accurate, than none at all. The user can decide for themselves whether this is suitable for them or not.

I'm always happy to be proven wrong. But don't let anyone push me into any corner.

For me the discussion ends here.

At the end, I would like to apologize if anyone was indirectly or directly offended or attacked by my comments.

@ganeshsanap What's the work around bro? The employer just told me 'nothing is impossible' =))

Should I make the shift to PowerApps?

@amke321

It is not possible using SharePoint default functionalities as well as SharePoint JSON formatting capabilities.

If this feature is absolutely required by your employer then you will have to customize the list form using either Power Apps (easy & low code) or SharePoint Framework (coding experience required).

I will suggest you to inform your employer that form UI will change if you customize the list form using Power Apps before actually making changes to list form and let them decide they are fine with UI changes.

When using a "choices" field in list view, only the start of the text matches.
When opening the element in a dialog and using the choices field, it matches any containing text not only the start.

So the functionality is there but not consistent within all views.