Add reading time to Modern Page

Copper Contributor

Hello,

We have setup one site with Modern Pages as the Knowledge Network for the company. People are always in a rush so I would like to be able to add to each time the time that it would take, on average, to read the pages' content.

As we are constantly reviewing the pages, ideally, this would be done dynamically to reflect the page's last version.

Is there any Web Part or anything that I can use for this? Or do I need to copy/paste the contents of each page individually and run it by, for instance, chatGPT, to get an estimate?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

7 Replies

@jagostinhoCT there is no web part or out-of-the-box way to do this.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP UK (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@jagostinhoCT,

As mentioned by @Rob_Elliott, there is no SharePoint out of the box web part available for your requirements.

However, you can achieve it using Page properties and Power automate flow as explained in this article: SharePoint – Adding "Time to read" to modern pages 

ganeshsanap_0-1696942324573.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

This looks great! We are already using some Power Automate flows. I will certainly give this one a try. Many thanks.

@jagostinhoCT 

Sure, let me know if it works for you or if you need any further help on this.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

hi @ganeshsanap 

I'm encountering some difficulties while trying to follow the steps in that article.

Firstly, I'm facing an issue when I attempt to import the Flow using the ZIP archive mentioned in the post, and I'm unsure how to resolve it.

The error message reads as follows:
"Flow save failed with code 'DynamicOperationRequestClientFailure' and message 'The dynamic operation request to API 'sharepointonline' operation 'GetTable' failed with status code 'Unauthorized'. This may indicate invalid input parameters. Error response: { "error_description": "Exception of type 'Microsoft.IdentityModel.Tokens.AudienceUriValidationFailedException' was thrown." }'."

I'm not entirely certain, but it seems this is preventing the creation of a new Flow using the imported connections. Do you have any thoughts on how to make this work?

Thank you for your assistance.

jagostinhoCT_0-1697013255891.png

@jagostinhoCT 

1. Create SharePoint online connection using your account in your flow environment.
  2. Configure to use this new connection while importing the flow in your environment.

I think I did that already. Hence why the green boxes below. Does this make sense?