SOLVED

Event based retention and event types

Iron Contributor

When you want to create some event based retention, Microsoft offers 3 event types: 

- Employee activity
- Expiration or termination of contracts and agreements
- Product lifetime

I know that a label is associated with 1 event type. And when you create an event, you have to choose: 

- 1 event type

- in the query, you select the asset ID

- 1 date

Arrival and departure of an employe are two typical events for employee activity. Can I use the same event type 'Employee activity' for those 2 events? Or do I have to create two additionnal event types 'Employee arrival' and 'Employee departure'?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by EricaToelle (Microsoft)
Solution

@KM KTNN Hi! The three event types are simply examples. You can add any event type that meets your needs. If you want to start the retention period based on the Employee arrival date, create an event type called Employee arrival. If you want to use employee departure, feel free to create one for that. Instructions: Start retention when an event occurs | Microsoft Learn

Also, this isn't at all obvious, but you can add any KQL into the Asset ID box. So, if you want to use metadata or a content type in SharePoint, you can do that. More info: Use retention labels to manage SharePoint document lifecycle | Microsoft Learn

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by EricaToelle (Microsoft)
Solution

@KM KTNN Hi! The three event types are simply examples. You can add any event type that meets your needs. If you want to start the retention period based on the Employee arrival date, create an event type called Employee arrival. If you want to use employee departure, feel free to create one for that. Instructions: Start retention when an event occurs | Microsoft Learn

Also, this isn't at all obvious, but you can add any KQL into the Asset ID box. So, if you want to use metadata or a content type in SharePoint, you can do that. More info: Use retention labels to manage SharePoint document lifecycle | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post