Azure Purview continues to evolve for customers to help them govern constantly growing data estates with the new elastic Data Map. Customers can provision a Purview account with no upfront commitment for Data Map platform cost and continue to grow elastically based on consumption to fully govern their enterprise data present in analytics, software as a service (SaaS), and operation systems in hybrid, on-premises, and multi-cloud environments
Customers can provision the new Azure Purview account with Data Map platform size of one capacity unit and elastically grow in increments of one capacity unit based on usage and request load. The elastic Data Map automatically scales up and down the capacity units within the elasticity window based on consumption.
Capacity unit (CU)
The capacity unit in Purview includes operations throughput and storage. One Data Map CU constitutes 25 operations/second throughput and 2 GB of metadata storage (learn more).
Data Map billing
Billing meters for the Purview Data Map are emitted in capacity units by hour. Each CU comprises 25 operations/second and 2 GB metadata storage, with incremental, consumption-based billing for each extra capacity unit by hour (learn more with a pricing example).
What’s next with elastic Data Map?
- Data source registration: The Data Map allows authorized users to register multiple Data Sources (learn more) and group the data sources into Collections (learn more), enabling a hierarchical structure of your data estate based on your organization’s plans to govern your data with Azure Purview.
- Enhanced scanning and ingestion: Configure scans with custom schedules to control the population of data assets and classification and lineage across both the scanning and ingestion processes (learn more).
- Advanced resource set: You can reduce the size of the Data Map by processing partitioned files in a data lake such that they’re treated as a single data asset called a resource set (learn more).
- Increase data elasticity window with support ticket: Data Map operations throughput can automatically scale up and down within the elasticity window (current limits are 1-8 CU). For additional throughput, create a support ticket (learn more). In the support portal, select Service and subscription limits (quota) and complete the on-screen instructions by choosing the Purview account that requires additional operations throughput.
Elastic Data Map provides a low-cost barrier for customers to start their data governance journey with a pay-as-you-go model starting with one capacity unit. Customers don’t need to worry about choosing the correct Data Map size for their data estate at provision time and dealing with platform migrations in the future because of size limits.
Get started today!
- Quickly and easily create an Azure Preview account to try the generally available features.
- Read documentation on the Azure Purview Elastic Data Map