Announcing PowerApps web part (preview) for SharePoint Online

Microsoft

We are pleased to announce the preview of the PowerApps web part for SharePoint Online.

PowerApps web part (preview)PowerApps web part (preview)

PowerApps is a service that lets you build business apps that run in a browser or on a phone or tablet, with no coding experience required. Once you have created or customized an app using the service, you can add it to your SharePoint page with the PowerApps web part. 

Getting started

To get started, just add the PowerApps web part from the toolbox and then enter the app's URL or the ID in the property pane. You can grab the app's URL or the ID from your apps page in PowerApps.

Edit PowerApps web part (preview)Edit PowerApps web part (preview)

Web part features

Below are some of the key benefits of using the PowerApps web part to embed your apps on a SharePoint page:

• The Web part automatically signs you into PowerApps.
  • The Web part automatically scales the app to a best fit in the canvas.
  • If you do not like the best fit, you can resize the app (up to the app's max size) using the resizer control.
  • Yes, it works in your SharePoint mobile app.

Release details

We are releasing this web part as a preview, so we can gather feedback and monitor the app's performance. We expect the web part to start rolling out to our customers in Targeted Release in early May 2018.

PowerApps web part (preview)PowerApps web part (preview)

We are excited for you to start using the PowerApps web part and we would love to hear your feedback!

Notes

• Adding the app on a page does not automatically give users permissions to use the app. Users must be granted access to view the app. To learn how to share apps with specific users or security groups, or with your entire organization, see Share an app in PowerApps
  • PowerApps are designed to work best with fixed sizes. For page layout purposes, apps that use a portrait orientation usually fit well in a one-third or three-column layout. Apps that use a landscape orientation usually fit well in a one-column layout. 
  • The PowerApps web part (preview) for SharePoint Online does not yet support screen readers or keyboard navigation.
45 Replies
Very nice :). Hopefully load times are good! That's my only concern!
Me too on that one. I know the Powerapps team are working on faster load times as performance is still a bit slow. With Sharepoint though the users are most likely going to have faster connections than working on mobile.

Hi,

My company is in first release, when will we see it?

And more important, does this means that powerapps will be responsive design? 

You will not get an exact date for any of these releases.

Also no Powerapps will not be responsive design. The web part will be but will on adjust to be able to display a powerapp in the default size(s)

This is similar to how #Powerapps are displayed in teams.
So it's not such good news after all.
Today we implement Powerapps via iframe, it sounds that it will be the same.
This is the main reason we hardly use Powerapps
Any Idea when Powerapps will have responsive design?
I would suggest going o we to the Powerapps community.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Community/ct-p/PowerApps1

I know it has been asked for more than. A few times. However they are still building out some of the core functionality and connectivity.

It will get there.

At least you can position a web part on a SharePoint page where you want it and it is not just on the middle or far right of a page.

Once we start the rollout early May (in a week or so), it will gradually be available to tenants in targeted release.

Regarding performance  - PowerApps team is working on improving the performance. Once they improve, the web part will accrue value as well. 

Thanks!

Exciting :), is this web part compatible with Classic Experience or just with Modern Pages?

This is modern SharePoint online only I believe. However that said you can embed #Powerapps into classic pages just using a content editor part and embed the url to the app.

Not the most prettiest solution but it can be done that way.
This is modern SharePoint online only I believe. However that said you can embed #Powerapps into classic pages just using a content editor part and embed the url to the app.

Not the most prettiest solution but it can be done that way.

How do you show PowerApps in Teams ?

i did not know you could do that.

How do you show PowerApps in Teams ?

i did not know you could do that.

It is a tab option. Like SharePoint, word? Excel PowerPoint etc.

Have an admin check whether it is enabled for teams. Might just be switched off. It should be under the standard apps section.

Thank you very much - I have found it.

The new model-based approach  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-model-driven-apps/ is producing responsive forms, so when that comes GA I guess that will be the way to go if you have a requirement for responsive design.

This look very promising except the simple fact that I don't have it, I have E5 and Plan 2, what am I missing here?
@Michal Golan I don't believe rollout has begun yet!
"We expect the web part to start rolling out to our customers in Targeted Release in early May 2018."

@Michal Golan wrote:
This look very promising except the simple fact that I don't have it, I have E5 and Plan 2, what am I missing here?

Are you referring the model-based design or the web part? The web part rollout has not begun yet.