Sending individual emails based on a multiple selection person/group column

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to isolate the individual email addresses based on a multiple selection person/group column and then send the individual an email rather than all email addresses in the column.

Is there a solution for this through Power Automate?

6 Replies

Hi @Strydom1977,

Sending individual emails based on a multiple selection person/group column in Power Automate is a possibility

Here is an example of how you could use this to send individual emails to members of a team when a new project is created:

1. Create a new flow in Power Automate and select the "When an item is created" trigger for a SharePoint list that contains your team members.
  2. Add an "Apply to each" action to your flow and select the "Team members" column as the input.
  3. Add a "Get user profile" action to the "Apply to each" loop and select the "Email" field as the output.
  4. Add a "Send an email" action to the "Apply to each" loop and enter the recipient's email address in the "To" field.
  5. In the subject line, you could enter something like "New project created!" and in the body of the email, you could include a link to the new project.
  6. Save your flow and test it to make sure that it is working as expected.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
    This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

Dear Leon,

Thank you so very much for your response, that worked a charm. Can I pick your brain to enhance this. If we want to customise the emails relevant to the person, so if the person is X and they need to do report Y, then when it picks up the report it identifies the person and sends a personalised email stating that you need to do report Y?

Hi @Strydom1977,

you can customize the emails based on the person's name and the report that they need to do. To do this, you can use the following steps:

1. Add a "Create string" action to the "Apply to each" loop and enter the following expression in the "Output" field:

"Dear [Person Name], Please complete report [Report Name] by [Due Date]. Thanks, [Your Name]"
  1. Replace [Person Name] with the dynamic content for the person's name. Replace [Report Name] with the dynamic content for the report name. Replace [Due Date] with the dynamic content for the report due date. Replace [Your Name] with your name.

2. Add a "Send an email" action to the "Apply to each" loop and enter the following expression in the "Body" field:

@{outputs('Create string')}

This will send a personalized email to each person in the "Team members" column, with the relevant information about the report that they need to do.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

Do I follow the above steps after the first solution you gave me, or replace the first solution with the latest solution you have given me?

Hi @Strydom1977,

You can follow the above steps after the first solution I gave you.

This will allow you to customize the emails based on the person's name and the report that they need to do.

Here is like a summary of all of the steps:

1. Create a new flow in Power Automate and select the "When an item is created" trigger for a SharePoint list that contains your team members.
  2. Add an "Apply to each" action to your flow and select the "Team members" column as the input.
  3. Add a "Get user profile" action to the "Apply to each" loop and select the "Email" field as the output.
  4. Add a "Create string" action to the "Apply to each" loop and enter the following expression in the "Output" field:

"Dear [Person Name], Please complete report [Report Name] by [Due Date]. Thanks, [Your Name]"

Replace [Person Name] with the dynamic content for the person's name. Replace [Report Name] with the dynamic content for the report name. Replace [Due Date] with the dynamic content for the report due date. Replace [Your Name] with your name.

1. Add a "Send an email" action to the "Apply to each" loop and enter the following expression in the "Body" field:

@{outputs('Create string')}
  1. Save your flow and test it to make sure that it is working as expected.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

Hi Leon, are you able to share an example (picture) of what this would look like in practice as I keep getting an error when trying to create the string.