Sync Issues between users

Copper Contributor

a peer notices that there are OneDrive sync issues regularly. The user doesn't have any notifications that errors are pending. They are typically dragging a handful of PDFs from their desktop to a OneDrive folder so that another user can access them. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason, and often after restarting OneDrive a few times the issue resolves. 

I'm curious if this happens with anyone else? The file path is pretty long and I'm curious if that could have something to do with it too. One of the PDFs file paths most recently was 170+ characters long. 

Any thoughts? Things to troubleshoot? 

3 Replies
Long pathnames will absolutely break sync. The online limitation is the requirement that sets the desktop limit across all client operating systems.

I have seen huge file collections wrecked by long file names even without the OneDrive factor.

If you right click on a file on client computer and you can't see the OneDrive commands on the context menu then they are "out of range" and won't sync.

You may see folders where the pathname minus file name fits but different files in the folder are available to OneDrive if their filename is short.

@Mike Williams thank you! do you happen to have a link to the online path name length limitations?