One drive notification for a previously deleted user.

Copper Contributor

Good Day

3 or 4 years ago we had a user, email address removed for privacy reasons, who left the company. His email was removed from G-Suite and Azure.

Yesterday (12/10/2023), We got a notification: "You’re over your Microsoft storage limit" About his OneDrive being full. I went into Azure to take a look, and we can't see old account in the "Deleted Users" option of Microsoft Entra (formally AAD). I also can't see his account in the Microsoft 365 Portal.

1. How do determine if the message is real?
  2. How do I empty that OneDrive?
  3. How do we stop the notification messages from that OneDrive?

I posted this question yesterday to this board: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1389816/one-drive-notification-for-a-previously-...

Thanks

1 Reply

@amurdoch22 

To determine if the message is real, you can check the email’s sender and details. If it’s from an official Microsoft address, it’s likely to be legitimate. However, it’s unusual to receive a notification about a deleted user’s OneDrive being full.

To ensure the OneDrive of a deleted user is empty, you can follow these steps:

1.A user is deleted from the Microsoft 365 admin center or is removed through Active Directory synchronization.
2.The account deletion is synchronized to SharePoint.
3.The OneDrive Clean Up Job runs, and the OneDrive is marked for deletion.
Unfortunately, as far as we know, the email notification about OneDrive deletion is sent automatically under OneDrive policy, which is the system default, and no settings can be changed for this.

However, you can try to change the recipient who will receive the email notifications of the user profiles deletion

How to determine if the message is real?
If you’re unsure whether the notification is legitimate, you can hover over all email addresses, links, and buttons to verify that the information looks valid and references Microsoft. You can also analyze the message headers and message tracking to review the “spam confidence level” and other elements of the message to determine whether it’s legitimate.

How to empty that OneDrive?
If you want to empty the OneDrive of a deleted user, you can follow these steps:
1.Go to the Microsoft 365 admin center.
2.Delete the user from the Active users page.
If you give another user access to the OneDrive, that user will have 30 days by default to access and download the files they want to keep.

How do we stop the notification messages from that OneDrive?
To disable OneDrive notifications for a deleted user, you can follow these steps:
1.Open OneDrive on Web.
2.Click on the Settings icon and open Options.
3.Here open Notifications from the sidebar.
4.Uncheck all options and click on Save to save your settings.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)