I don't know how OneDrive works (sync): delete a file, it deletes from everywhere (not backup)

Copper Contributor

Hello. Thank you all.
I post this example because I don't know if I'm missing a step or I'm wrong about how OneDrive works and what for.
If get synchronized with OneDrive for Photos folder (and its subfolders), it works good and photos from my cellphone are stored in device gallery and uploaded to OneDrive as expected. iF I delete one photo from my device, or to delete one photo in the Windows/PC, it deletes from OneDrive and all the Synchro Devices (as expected). 

How can I save my local files with a backup on OneDrive, deleting them from my PC or device folder and still have a "backup" stored in OneDrive? 
thank you again !

3 Replies
There are countless instruction texts and tvideos dealing with these basic features e.g. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-windows...

You want to free up space, not delete files. Remember to keep proper back-ups: plenty of posts here from people who have deleted files from OneDrive and want them back years later.
Yup you can just keep file stubs to the documents and not eat up storage space. If you don’t want to see them. Then create a folder on the root OneDrive folder put your documents there then you can go into settings of the client and selectively choose to no longer sync that folder.

@antoniomdv  In my case, I didn't even know that little rascal was installed with my windows 10 Pro. I had my computer custom built about 10 years ago, and really didn't start using it regularly until after Covid, now i work from home. I was working one day and started getting messages that My microsoft cloud was getting  full and I needed to spend some money for more space. This is how I was introduced to OneDrive. Of course I let it run past the limit, and it was almost like it attacked my computer. It would make all my programs Read- only and remove my permissions. I paid the 6? dollars for more space and cleaned up the mess.  Just the other day I notice that my folders and data had doubled. the main thing i noticed were Clones of Desktops and network drives. I currently have 6 desktops.  with cloned networks.  It went after any system file it could find, especially drives and desktop folders. It would disable, it snatched its properties, and send it to Onedrive where I couldn't access it. I want to say, there is a fix for this theif of a program............Dump it. Hang it, and unlink.  This thing has made me lose sleep and money.  I am a single user. I have a 15 terabyte backup in my computer, and I like to do my own backups thank you very MUCH!  I use google drive for my pictures. never had a problem like this.  I am loving your comments keep them coming :)