Too much Disk writes : many onedrive.exe activities with telemetryCache.otc-journal file

Brass Contributor

My computer since my holidays return is very slow. The disk is always writing data. When I verify perfmon I see frequently use over 94% . I see on disk activty too many images with write processess named OneDrive.exe and file %APPLOCALDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\Business1\TelemetryCache.otc-journal.

When I close Onedrive program, the disk performance is OK.

What is this file ? What is it used for ?

Could you help me to solve my computer poor performance ?

Thanks.

19 Replies

I have faced the exact same issue since end of august

I tried uninstalling, deleting the entire %APPLOCALDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive folder (where Onedrive is installed). Then : 

reinstall version 17.3.6943.0625 (the one you get when downloading from microsoft site) : the disk usage is normal, problem not present.

BUT

the client is then automaticall updated to 17.3.6998.0830, and the problem appears

I could not find a way to forbid the automatic upgrade. Tried to disable "OneDrive Standalone Update Task" in task scheduler, but the upgrade still occured after.

However, 17.3.6998.0830 works fine on another computer. So this is related to a local issue on my computer

I found a workaround : manually changed the permissions on 

%APPLOCALDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\Business1\TelemetryCache.otc

%APPLOCALDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive\logs\Personal\TelemetryCache.otc

• disabled inheritance
  • manually removed write permissions for my user account (screenshot attached)

Problem disappeared

Using process monitor, we can see that onedrive is still trying to write in the file, but it cannot :)

There is a side effect though : 

Onedrive is now writing in %APPLOCALDATA%\Temp\aria-debug-3212.log that something is wrong with telemetry, but that does not affect disk or cpu performance

Yes I have been on the same boat, and OneDriveSetup fails all the time so I have to keep running it manually from the command prompt with special flags.

Anyways, I am in this situation where it fails to send whatever telemetry it sends, so it makes an entry on my temp folder on a file called aria-debug-<some-number>.log and it is not funny, those log files have grown up to 72 GB :pouting_face: in fact, that is how I realized of their existence, because my HD got full.

So, now I have to keep erasing them.  Today's culprit is "just" 22 GB and was created on 9/14 6:51 PM and last write on 9/15 12:52 PM.

This is out of control.  So, if you are getting those aria-debug-whatever.log files, keep an eye on their size...

Sorry forgot, OneDrive version 17.3.6998.0830 (multiple versions before this one have exhibited this behaviour).
Windows 10 vers 1703

I have the same problem. It's a big problem. All of my three devices are affected. It is not possible to prevent automatic update of Onedrive. No matter which old version I try to install, it is immediately updated to the bad actual version. I hate automatic updates, and even more I hate automatic updates which can't be deactivated. Had to disable Onedrive on all machines to get back performance. Maybe it's time to say goodbye to Onedrive and find a better solution.

We´re having the exact same problem and, for me, this was the only english language thread I could find.

There are some people talking about the same Issue in swedish, japanese and russian so maybe it would make sense for Microsoft to utter a statement?

I suppose that, to this day, there is no real fix?

No, it seems that there is no fix at the moment. The only fix was if someone would figure out how to install an older version of Onedrive and prevent it from automatic update (no, the method with disabling the scheduled update task doesn't work here, because the update seems to take place immediately during installation process - the method only works to prevent an already installed and running Onedrive from future updates).

So for now I deactivated the autostart of Onedrive and only start it when I need it. Will wait a few weeks, if there is no solution I will stop using onedrive and find another cloud, because so it's quite useless for me.

Do you speak one of the other languages? Any interesting findings there?

Thanks for your answer.
Sadly I don´t speak any of those languages. I tried to get something out of it with google translate but to no real effect. 
I think that they don´t have much more of a clue then we. Probably a bug that has to be fixed from MS Site.

Hahah, while just googling the issue again to supply the links of the other forums it seems that the google crawler found new stuff or priorized it differently - some youtube videos about the issue now and several german (my native language) and english posts.
I suppose we have to wait for a fix.

adria-debug.png

As far as I know this is known issue which is fixed in future release.
Until MS fixes this, I created a scheduled Task, which calls
%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe
with Parameters
/q /c "del /f aria-debug-*.log"
in Directory
%TEMP%
every some 2 hours.

HTH, Peter

I have seen reports of this as well. Hopefully this will get some attention. 

I have resolved the issues I am having with it on my windows 7 laptop by disabling the read and write permissions on the telemetryCache.otc file to the following users/groups - SYSTEM, myself and Administrators. All I/O problems have gone and successfully added and synced a new file to my one drive. I'm no windows guru, just a basic user, but this has resolved my issues.

Very thanks for your answer. We are waiting impatiently this update from Microsoft.

Have a nice day

Just chiming in here to confirm that this fix is not working on my computer. HAs anyone got word from Microsoft that there is an upcoming fix.

It seems the fix comes with the onedrive new version including on demand sync files.

It's not yet available for us. Is it available on your organization ?

Here is the solution that I've found somewhere. Worked great for me. (after reboot) Win7 64 SP3 i7

Solution for me:

download onedrive 17.3.6943.0625

disconnect from internet and install it (it’s prevent to auto update)

make copy folder 17.3.6943.0625 in appdata\microsoft\onedrive some like copy_17.3.6943.0625

install latest official 17.3.6998.0830

setup it and synchronize files (aria files and high cpu usage is normal)

turn off onedrive

copy all accessible files from folder 17.3.6943.0625 to 17.3.6998.0830

some files are used but they do not make problems

after this run onedrive.exe, of course onedrive report version 17.3.6943.0625 but this prepared version don’t make upgrade to buggy 17.3.6998.0830 (15-25% CPU) and 17.3.7059.930 (50% CPU usage)

now, all work ok, CPU usage is close to 0% (under status actual) and don’t make large aria files.

system works nice under 1.6 Atom too 

This issue is solved by the latest version of onedrive client i.e. 17.3.7073.1013

It's deployed on our computers for the last week and all computers concerned works fine now.

We do nothing else to solve the problem only to update the client.

Have a nice day !

I´m running 17.3.7074.1023 version and still with the aria-debug files getting larger... I sent few e-mails to onedrive support, but no answer at all.